Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > J2ME disassembler?

J2ME disassembler?

Joseph

I recall that with java applets (bytecode) you can use a disassembler
to reverse compile and so output a source code .java file from any
..class file. Is this still true with J2ME bytecodes? Can you still
achieve the same effect?

What are some good disassembler for java ?

Daniel Tahin

Hi,

I have used this Java SDK disassembler before:
http://kpdus.tripod.com/jad.html#download
This worked well. I don't know, perhaps it's ok for J2ME as well
(because J2ME uses the same compiler, or not?)...

Joseph schrieb:
> I recall that with java applets (bytecode) you can use a disassembler
> to reverse compile and so output a source code .java file from any
> .class file. Is this still true with J2ME bytecodes? Can you still
> achieve the same effect?
>
> What are some good disassembler for java ?

Darryl Pierce

Joseph wrote:
> I recall that with java applets (bytecode) you can use a disassembler
> to reverse compile and so output a source code .java file from any
> ..class file. Is this still true with J2ME bytecodes? Can you still
> achieve the same effect?

Yes, Bytecodes are bytecodes. The only difference is that with the MIDP
the bytecodes are preverified before being loaded onto the device.

> What are some good disassembler for java ?

Try JAD or javap.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <(E-Mail Removed)>
Visit my homepage: http://mcpierce.multiply.com

Joseph

Darryl Pierce wrote:
> Joseph wrote:
> > I recall that with java applets (bytecode) you can use a disassembler
> > to reverse compile and so output a source code .java file from any
> > ..class file. Is this still true with J2ME bytecodes? Can you still
> > achieve the same effect?

> Yes, Bytecodes are bytecodes. The only difference is that with the MIDP
> the bytecodes are preverified before being loaded onto the device.
>
> > What are some good disassembler for java ?

> Try JAD or javap.
>
> --
> Darryl L. Pierce <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Visit my homepage: http://mcpierce.multiply.com
> "By doubting we come to inquiry, through inquiry truth." - Peter Abelard

Because its preverified. Wouldn't that means java disassembler won't
be able to deal with it? as it requires pure bytecode. Does preverify
do anything to the bytecode? I know that it changes the size of my
compiled j2me.

Darryl Pierce

Joseph wrote:

> Darryl Pierce wrote:
>
>>Joseph wrote:
>>
>>>I recall that with java applets (bytecode) you can use a disassembler
>>>to reverse compile and so output a source code .java file from any
>>>..class file. Is this still true with J2ME bytecodes? Can you still
>>>achieve the same effect?

>>Yes, Bytecodes are bytecodes. The only difference is that with the MIDP
>>the bytecodes are preverified before being loaded onto the device.
>>

>>>What are some good disassembler for java ?

>>Try JAD or javap.

> Because its preverified.

So?

> Wouldn't that means java disassembler won't
> be able to deal with it? as it requires pure bytecode. Does preverify
> do anything to the bytecode? I know that it changes the size of my
> compiled j2me.

It does nothing to it that would bother the a decompiler. Have you
actually *tried* JAD yet?