Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Geronimo and Tomcat

Geronimo and Tomcat

yzzzzz

Hi,

What exactly is the difference between Geronimo and Tomcat? Is Tomcat a
subset of Geronimo? Which should I use?

Thanks.

Arnaud Berger

Hi,

As stated on Apache site :

Tomcat:
"Tomcat is the servlet container that is used in the official Reference
Implementation for the Java Servlet and JavaServer Pages technologies. "

Geronimo:
"Welcome to Apache Geronimo, the J2EE server project of the Apache Software
Foundation. "

Tomcat is not a certified J2EE server since it only manages the Servlet and
JSP specs of J2EE

Geronimo should become a certified J2EE server, including other J2EE stuff
like EJBs, JMS, ....

Note that tomcat has been there from a long time, it is stable and is THE
current reference for Servlets and JSPs.
Geronimo is only available as unstable and milestone releases, thus it is
not production-ready at this time.

Regards,

Arnaud

"yzzzzz" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message news:
428315f4$0$299$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> What exactly is the difference between Geronimo and Tomcat? Is Tomcat a
> subset of Geronimo? Which should I use?
>
> Thanks.

Bryce

On Thu, 12 May 2005 10:38:11 +0200, yzzzzz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>What exactly is the difference between Geronimo and Tomcat? Is Tomcat a
>subset of Geronimo? Which should I use?

Tomcat = Servlet Engine (subset of the J2EE spec).
Geronimo = Full J2EE Engine (including Servlets)

Geronimo is a Superset of Tomcat (Actually, I think Geronimo uses
Jetty for its servlet engine, not Tomcat, but I could be wrong).

--
now with more cowbell

MySql Connector and Geronimo - Must go through database pool sengsational Java 0 11-23-2008 04:15 PM
[Announcement] OpenSource SOA Stack based on Apache Geronimo - GASwerk kristian Java 9 10-31-2007 04:44 PM
what is the difference between geronimo and tomcat? Jeff Kish Java 3 07-28-2006 12:40 PM
Geronimo and Oracle Alan Lewis Java 0 02-12-2006 10:05 PM
NYJavaSIG Meeting 12/15/04 - Apache Geronimo - Open Source J2EE-Compliant App Server Frank D. Greco Java 0 12-12-2004 12:24 AM

Advertisments