Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > sql*plus diagrams

sql*plus diagrams

Betty

I inherited a job that uses Oracle. There are maybe
90 tables. I have files that I can run through
sql*plus to create the tables so I have the descriptions.
Question is: is there any software that I can use
to make diagrams from these files, ERD or otherwise?

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

"Betty" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Question is: is there any software that I can use
> to make diagrams from these files, ERD or otherwise?

Once the database has been "generated" into a schema, you can use
software like CA's ERWin to extract a model/diagram, and/or convert to
other databases, redesign etc.

http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Product.asp?ID=260

But what does that have to do with Java?

Malte

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:
> "Betty" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

>>Question is: is there any software that I can use
>>to make diagrams from these files, ERD or otherwise?

> Once the database has been "generated" into a schema, you can use
> software like CA's ERWin to extract a model/diagram, and/or convert to
> other databases, redesign etc.
>
> http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Product.asp?ID=260
>
> But what does that have to do with Java?

Oracle JDeveloper can do that, at least i can provide the class
diagrams. I am quite certain that Oracle Designer can do the same.

Betty

"Tor Iver Wilhelmsen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Betty" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > Question is: is there any software that I can use
> > to make diagrams from these files, ERD or otherwise?

> Once the database has been "generated" into a schema, you can use
> software like CA's ERWin to extract a model/diagram, and/or convert to
> other databases, redesign etc.
>
> http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Product.asp?ID=260

Thanks, but it is $3,995.

> But what does that have to do with Java?

It is indirect, I access the database using Java programs.

Bjorn Abelli

"Betty" wrote...
> "Tor Iver Wilhelmsen" wrote...
>> "Betty" wrote:
>>
>> > Question is: is there any software that I can use
>> > to make diagrams from these files, ERD or otherwise?

>> Once the database has been "generated" into a schema, you can use
>> software like CA's ERWin to extract a model/diagram, and/or convert to
>> other databases, redesign etc.
>>
>> http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Product.asp?ID=260

> Thanks, but it is $3,995.

I can recommend DBDesigner (GNU GPL), which has worked excellent when I've
been in a need for a quick ERD.

http://www.fabforce.net/dbdesigner4/

Though it's specially designed to work with MySQL, it can reverse engineer
from Oracle as well.

// Bjorn A

gevatron@yahoo.com

Oracle JDeveloper that you can download free on OTN:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev

Can reverse (and forward) engineer your DB structure into diagrams.
(and it can also create Java classes for these diagrams).

Check out the onlin demo here:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/pro...ewlet_swf.html

Malte

> Oracle JDeveloper that you can download free on OTN:
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev
>
> Can reverse (and forward) engineer your DB structure into diagrams.
> (and it can also create Java classes for these diagrams).
>
> Check out the onlin demo here:
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/pro...ewlet_swf.html

Download for free, yes. Use for free: only under certain circumstances...

steve

On Fri, 13 May 2005 03:41:25 +0800, Malte wrote
(in article <4283b165$0$67260$(E-Mail Removed)>) :

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Oracle JDeveloper that you can download free on OTN:
>> http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev
>>
>> Can reverse (and forward) engineer your DB structure into diagrams.
>> (and it can also create Java classes for these diagrams).
>>
>> Check out the onlin demo here:
>> http://www.oracle.com/technology/pro...tabaseModeling
>> _viewlet_swf.html
>>

> Download for free, yes. Use for free: only under certain circumstances...

oracle software is NOT "FREE", they place MOST oracle software on their
website, including the databases.

If you want to evaluate the software you can, but it is not to be used in
production.

Steve