Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > kind of newbie question in java applete and sites

kind of newbie question in java applete and sites

ali

well i see you are disscussing very advance things in java here so i
feel strange to ask such a simple question here

but hope i will get un answer

ok here it is my question

let say i am running my java applet on a site
www.yourname.com/mypage.html

ok and i have a file whichs path is www.tourname.com/info.txt

so can i modify this file

if (no) { why; }

if (yes ){ how; && why; }

hope i will get my help here and thanks in advance

ali

!!! any one

Ross Bamford

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 11:21 -0700, ali wrote:
> well i see you are disscussing very advance things in java here so i
> feel strange to ask such a simple question here
>
> but hope i will get un answer
>
> ok here it is my question
>
> let say i am running my java applet on a site
> www.yourname.com/mypage.html
>
> ok and i have a file whichs path is www.tourname.com/info.txt
>
> so can i modify this file
>
> if (no) { why; }
>
> if (yes ){ how; && why; }
>

> hope i will get my help here and thanks in advance

short answer: no. The applet is running on the client computer.

Long answer: Of course you could setup your server so that one can
modify that url, and then do it that way in your applet using a
URLConnection / Stream.

Applets are restricted in their network access but IIRC they are allowed
connections to their serving server, so as long as the applet comes from
the same server...

This can also be changed I think but can't remember how ...

So yes, but with configuration outside Java too.
--
[Ross A. Bamford] [ross AT the.website.domain]
Roscopeco Open Tech ++ Open Source + Java + Apache + CMF