Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: Which book is better, Core Java or Thinking in Java?

Re: Which book is better, Core Java or Thinking in Java?

Bryce

On Sun, 01 May 2005 04:07:48 GMT, SteveSmith@nomail. wrote:

>Or is there something better for someone who is a beginner to Java?
>
>Is one of these two books better for learning Swing? Overall which is better for all the
>important topics?
>
>I've been using the downloaded version of Thinking in Java as a reference while reading
>another book. I've just started reading Chaper 14 "Creating Windows and Applets". I'm not
>that happy with it. Maybe I haven't gotten far enough into it yet but so far I don't think
>he tells you enough about what the methods do or even the purpose of the different classes
>like JFrame, JApplet and JPanel at least not at first. Maybe it gets better later in the
>chapter so I can't say for sure it's not that good at this point.

I have found that the Thinking in Java book is a very good book, if
you already know how to program in another language, such as C/C++.

For beginners, I'd try Sun's Java Tutorial, which is also online.

Core Java was good back when I was first learning Java , but again, I
think it was best if you already knew a programming language.

--
now with more cowbell

SteveSmith@nomail.

On Mon, 02 May 2005 10:39:14 -0400, Bryce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 01 May 2005 04:07:48 GMT, SteveSmith@nomail. wrote:
>
>>Or is there something better for someone who is a beginner to Java?
>>
>>Is one of these two books better for learning Swing? Overall which is better for all the
>>important topics?
>>
>>I've been using the downloaded version of Thinking in Java as a reference while reading
>>another book. I've just started reading Chaper 14 "Creating Windows and Applets". I'm not
>>that happy with it. Maybe I haven't gotten far enough into it yet but so far I don't think
>>he tells you enough about what the methods do or even the purpose of the different classes
>>like JFrame, JApplet and JPanel at least not at first. Maybe it gets better later in the
>>chapter so I can't say for sure it's not that good at this point.

>I have found that the Thinking in Java book is a very good book, if
>you already know how to program in another language, such as C/C++.
>
>For beginners, I'd try Sun's Java Tutorial, which is also online.
>
>Core Java was good back when I was first learning Java , but again, I
>think it was best if you already knew a programming language.

Thanks.