Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: Which book is better, Core Java or Thinking in Java?

Re: Which book is better, Core Java or Thinking in Java?

ge0rge

SteveSmith@nomail. wrote:
> Or is there something better for someone who is a beginner to Java?
>
> Is one of these two books better for learning Swing?

Which of these two cars do you think is better for learning to fly - the
BMW or the Merc?

--
Nothing motivates a man more than to see his boss put in an honest day's
work.

SteveSmith@nospam.edu

On Sun, 01 May 2005 08:51:22 +0100, ge0rge <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>SteveSmith@nomail. wrote:
>> Or is there something better for someone who is a beginner to Java?
>>
>> Is one of these two books better for learning Swing?

>Which of these two cars do you think is better for learning to fly - the
>BMW or the Merc?

For flying? Neither. So what book would you recommend then?

Tony Morris

Neither.

--
Tony Morris

JTiger Unit Test Framework for J2SE 1.5
http://www.jtiger.org/
Java Q&A (FAQ, Trivia)
http://qa.jtiger.org/
http://xdweb.net/~dibblego/

SteveSmith@nospam.edu

On Sun, 1 May 2005 21:19:51 +1000, "Tony Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Neither.

I appreciate the reply. I should have just asked for a recommendation for a first Java
book. Or maybe I didn't understand your reply.

Tony Morris

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 1 May 2005 21:19:51 +1000, "Tony Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Neither.

> I appreciate the reply. I should have just asked for a recommendation for

a first Java
> book. Or maybe I didn't understand your reply.

The point being made here is that there is no "best". A more specific
question would have likely yielded a more specific answer.
There are many recommendations for a place to start; some prefer X to Y and
others Y to Z.
You won't find anything that fits the criteria of "best" though.

--

On Sun, 1 May 2005 22:57:03 +1000, "Tony Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 1 May 2005 21:19:51 +1000, "Tony Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Neither.

>> I appreciate the reply. I should have just asked for a recommendation for

>a first Java
>> book. Or maybe I didn't understand your reply.

>The point being made here is that there is no "best". A more specific
>question would have likely yielded a more specific answer.
>There are many recommendations for a place to start; some prefer X to Y and
>others Y to Z.
>You won't find anything that fits the criteria of "best" though.

Recommendations is what I'm looking for. I realize people will not all have the same
opinion. Specifically I need a book for someone who is new to Java but not new to
programming. I know C++ but I am no expert on it or on object oriented programming.
Thanks.