Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Which book is better, Core Java or Thinking in Java?

Which book is better, Core Java or Thinking in Java?

SteveSmith@nospam.edu

Or is there something better for someone who is a beginner to Java?

Is one of these two books better for learning Swing? Overall which is better for all the
important topics?

I've been using the downloaded version of Thinking in Java as a reference while reading
another book. I've just started reading Chaper 14 "Creating Windows and Applets". I'm not
that happy with it. Maybe I haven't gotten far enough into it yet but so far I don't think
he tells you enough about what the methods do or even the purpose of the different classes
like JFrame, JApplet and JPanel at least not at first. Maybe it gets better later in the
chapter so I can't say for sure it's not that good at this point.

Thank you.

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

> Or is there something better for someone who is a beginner to Java?

Thinking in Java is the best book for learning Java.

MaXiaochi@gmail.com

Thinking in Java may be the best book,but for a freshman,it is not
frindly enough.If it pay more attention to the basic concept,and think
from the point of view of a new learner,it will be.

SteveSmith@nospam.edu

On 30 Apr 2005 23:56:22 -0700, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thinking in Java may be the best book,but for a freshman,it is not
>frindly enough.If it pay more attention to the basic concept,and think
> from the point of view of a new learner,it will be.

I also think it should be friendlier to a Java beginner at least in the chapter on Windows
and Applets. I liked what I read of the other chapters. Would you recommend Core Java then
or something else?
Thank you.

SteveSmith@nospam.edu

On 30 Apr 2005 19:18:15 +0200, Tor Iver Wilhelmsen <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) writes:
>
>> Or is there something better for someone who is a beginner to Java?

>Thinking in Java is the best book for learning Java.

Thank you.

Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes

wrote on Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:34:57 GMT:
> Or is there something better for someone who is a beginner to Java?
> Is one of these two books better for learning Swing? Overall which is
> better for all the important topics? I've been using the downloaded
> version of Thinking in Java as a reference while reading another book.
> I've just started reading Chaper 14 "Creating Windows and Applets".
> I'm not that happy with it. Maybe I haven't gotten far enough into it
> yet but so far I don't think he tells you enough about what the
> methods do or even the purpose of the different classes like JFrame,
> JApplet and JPanel at least not at first. Maybe it gets better later
> in the chapter so I can't say for sure it's not that good at this
> point. Thank you.

TIJ is by far the best intro book to Java. Stick with it.

However, it does not describe every method of every class, because you
have the Javadocs to look at already. You downloaded the JDK
documentation, right? Open <JDKHOME/docs/index.html>, page down to the
API & Language Documentation, and click on Java 2 Platform API
Specification. Bookmark this page, you'll be using it every day for the
rest of your life.

If you really need excruciating detail about the internals of Swing,
<Swing 2nd Ed.> pub. by Manning is a good resource, but until you're
elbows-deep in the guts of a complex Swing app, you don't need it.

"Gibson and I dueled among blazing stacks of books for a while. [...] The
streets were crowded with his black-suited minions and I had to turn into a
swarm of locusts and fly back to Seattle." -Neal Stephenson, /. interview

SteveSmith@nospam.edu

On 2 May 2005 01:52:41 GMT, Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote on Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:34:57 GMT:
>> Or is there something better for someone who is a beginner to Java?
>> Is one of these two books better for learning Swing? Overall which is
>> better for all the important topics? I've been using the downloaded
>> version of Thinking in Java as a reference while reading another book.
>> I've just started reading Chaper 14 "Creating Windows and Applets".
>> I'm not that happy with it. Maybe I haven't gotten far enough into it
>> yet but so far I don't think he tells you enough about what the
>> methods do or even the purpose of the different classes like JFrame,
>> JApplet and JPanel at least not at first. Maybe it gets better later
>> in the chapter so I can't say for sure it's not that good at this
>> point. Thank you.

> TIJ is by far the best intro book to Java. Stick with it.
>
> However, it does not describe every method of every class, because you
>have the Javadocs to look at already.

True. I haven't gotten that far with the Windows and Applets chapter but from what I've
seen I think it explains less than what a book should. I think I will read through the
rest of the chapter and see how it goes. I'll also use the tutorial. Another book would be
helpful if I need it.

> You downloaded the JDK
>documentation, right? Open <JDKHOME/docs/index.html>, page down to the
>API & Language Documentation, and click on Java 2 Platform API
>Specification. Bookmark this page, you'll be using it every day for the
>rest of your life.

I've been looking at the API documentation since a short time after I started learning
Java and I can see how useful it is.

> If you really need excruciating detail about the internals of Swing,
><Swing 2nd Ed.> pub. by Manning is a good resource, but until you're
>elbows-deep in the guts of a complex Swing app, you don't need it.

Thanks for the information and book suggestion.

Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes

wrote on Mon, 02 May 2005 03:18:31 GMT:
> On 2 May 2005 01:52:41 GMT, Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> TIJ is by far the best intro book to Java. Stick with it.
>> However, it does not describe every method of every class, because you
>>have the Javadocs to look at already.

> True. I haven't gotten that far with the Windows and Applets chapter
> but from what I've seen I think it explains less than what a book
> should. I think I will read through the rest of the chapter and see
> how it goes. I'll also use the tutorial. Another book would be helpful
> if I need it.

There's also David Geary's <Graphic Java> trilogy, excellent books
about the details of the AWT, Swing, and Java 2D. However, they're
aimed at intermediate-advanced Java programmers with really difficult
graphics problems, and make TIJ look gentle and chatty.

> Thanks for the information and book suggestion.

No problem. Good luck!

On 3 May 2005 09:48:19 GMT, Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote on Mon, 02 May 2005 03:18:31 GMT:
>> On 2 May 2005 01:52:41 GMT, Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> TIJ is by far the best intro book to Java. Stick with it.
>>> However, it does not describe every method of every class, because you
>>>have the Javadocs to look at already.

>> True. I haven't gotten that far with the Windows and Applets chapter
>> but from what I've seen I think it explains less than what a book
>> should. I think I will read through the rest of the chapter and see
>> how it goes. I'll also use the tutorial. Another book would be helpful
>> if I need it.

> There's also David Geary's <Graphic Java> trilogy, excellent books
>about the details of the AWT, Swing, and Java 2D. However, they're
>aimed at intermediate-advanced Java programmers with really difficult
>graphics problems, and make TIJ look gentle and chatty.
>
>> Thanks for the information and book suggestion.

> No problem. Good luck!

Thanks again.