Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Force java applet to run on java microsoft virtual machine plugin and not Sun.

Force java applet to run on java microsoft virtual machine plugin and not Sun.

emaxt6@yahoo.com

If clients with Internet Explorer have both java virtual machine plugin
installed ( Microsoft and Sun ),
how is it possible to force an applet to run on java microsoft virtual
machine and not Sun one ( of course without manually changing any
client settings, only by html code ).

Maybe by some specific <OBJECT> tag?

Ross Bamford

On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 02:48 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> If clients with Internet Explorer have both java virtual machine plugin
> installed ( Microsoft and Sun ),
> how is it possible to force an applet to run on java microsoft virtual
> machine and not Sun one ( of course without manually changing any
> client settings, only by html code ).
>
> Maybe by some specific <OBJECT> tag?

Trying to exploit a Micro$oft 'feature' ?

--
[Ross A. Bamford] [ross AT the.website.domain]
Roscopeco Open Tech ++ Open Source + Java + Apache + CMF

emaxt6@yahoo.com

Sadly, we inherited an old b2b complex applet that runs much more
better and faster on MSJVM than Sun ( at the time was targeted to
msjvm ).

But nowadays we can usually find sun plugin and microsoft plugin both
installed on the same client machine as handlers for java code in
internet pages.

I want to force the applet to run on MS JVM in this case and not on Sun
one, of course without touching the client computer and using only html
directives ...

am I supposed to write some sort of <OBJECT> tag?

thanks

Mickey Segal

If the user's copy of Internet Explorer is set to the Microsoft JVM the
answer is easy - just using the classes or a CAB file will result in the
applet running with the MS JVM. If you wanted to force the Sun JVM you
could do that with OBJECT tags, but I don't know if there is an equivalent
way of forcing the MS JVM.

Lots of applets run much better on the MS JVM. For a Java 1 applet, Sun is
still nowhere near the speed of GUI display reached by Microsoft in 1998.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I want to force the applet to run on MS JVM in this case and not on Sun
> one, of course without touching the client computer and using only html
> directives ...

Tim Tyler

(E-Mail Removed) wrote or quoted:

> Sadly, we inherited an old b2b complex applet that runs much more
> better and faster on MSJVM than Sun ( at the time was targeted to
> msjvm ).
>
> But nowadays we can usually find sun plugin and microsoft plugin both
> installed on the same client machine as handlers for java code in
> internet pages.
>
> I want to force the applet to run on MS JVM in this case and not on Sun
> one, of course without touching the client computer and using only html
> directives ...
>
> am I supposed to write some sort of <OBJECT> tag?

I don't think so.

Is there any good reason to think that what you are asking is possible?
--