Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Seeking perfomance/profiling advice

Seeking perfomance/profiling advice

iksrazal

We're about to refactor a project - its hibernate/spring/struts/mysql
jdk 1.4.2 but I'm more concerned about the approach. I really feel we
should measure before and after the refactoring. I've used HTTPerf
from HP a bit.

1) App requires login thru a JSP with a DB backend.
2) How to measure memory/cpu consumption user load on remote machine
under test - probably Linux, launched from a linux client.
3) Open Source tools required. Except for a profiler like JProfiler -
I've had zero luck using the built in one from Sun. Open to
suggestions but it needs to at least have a trial version that can be
used for the tests.

Any ideas?
iksrazal

tzvika.barenholz@gmail.com

Mercury SiteScope will do number 2 nicely. it has a free trial i
belive, but is certainly not open source.

enrique

I agree: you should do measurements, first. Determine the business
requirements for performance and determine how well/poorly the current
implementation is doing.