Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Running Java on an XP/Windows machine - without the DOS box.

Running Java on an XP/Windows machine - without the DOS box.

jaj_developer@yahoo.co.uk

All,

Other than websart etc, is there a way (programs, flags, tags etc..) of
running a java application (not applet) on a machine? The code will be
installed on the box, and will be run but the users (!!!) donot want
the MS-DOS box to appear/be visable. Is this (quickly and easily)
possible.

Ta

Jaj

Peter MacMillan

> All,
>
> Other than websart etc, is there a way (programs, flags, tags etc..) of
> running a java application (not applet) on a machine? The code will be
> installed on the box, and will be run but the users (!!!) donot want
> the MS-DOS box to appear/be visable. Is this (quickly and easily)
> possible.
>
> Ta
>
> Jaj

Windows only, but: javaw.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/...dows/java.html

"
The javaw command is identical to java, except that with javaw there is
no associated console window. Use javaw when you don't want a command
prompt window to appear. The javaw launcher will, however, display a
dialog box with error information if a launch fails for some reason.
"

--
Peter MacMillan
e-mail/msn: (E-Mail Removed)

jaj_developer@yahoo.co.uk

Peter,

Thanks that solves one of the problems :-]

Currently we use the class bat files to run the app, and its that box
also I need hidden.

Thanks

Jaj

tzvika.barenholz@gmail.com

There is also another way. You can make your program a service and
disallow it to "interact with desktop"

Thomas Kellerer

On 27.04.2005 10:49 (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Currently we use the class bat files to run the app, and its that box
> also I need hidden.

Create a shortcut that points to javaw with all the needed parameters. Thus you
don't need the batchfile at all.

If you really need the the batch file you could use "start javaw" that will
still display the box, but it will disappear again.

Thomas

jonck

Take a look at this article, helped me a lot in getting Java apps to
appear as regular Windows apps:
http://www.devx.com/Java/Article/21604