Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Applets, Seperate Frames, and CPU cycles/Efficiency

Reply
Thread Tools

Applets, Seperate Frames, and CPU cycles/Efficiency

 
 
Russ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2005
Hi everyone,
If I have one Applet that is cpu intensive,
will running a second applet in another frame
improve this second applet's performance?
Worded another way: Will the second applet
get more cpu cycles in a different frame then
if it was in the same frame as the first?


thanx
Russ Kinter

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Piotr Gaertig /Gertas/
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2005
On 4/27/2005 4:10 AM, cyber knight Russ gave sign:
> Hi everyone,
> If I have one Applet that is cpu intensive,
> will running a second applet in another frame
> improve this second applet's performance?
> Worded another way: Will the second applet
> get more cpu cycles in a different frame then
> if it was in the same frame as the first?


Hello,

No, if a machine is a single-cpu then
performance will be degraded.
On a multi-cpu machines use threads
within one applet - control is easier.

If both applets and computation will be same
then each instance will use the same
amount of cpu cycles (cycles - absolute process time),
but running time may differ (performance).

You should read a little about task switching,
cycles, processes, time quantums, priorities,
and multitasking and cpus in general.

Best Regards,
Piotr Gaertig
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Betty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2005

"Piotr Gaertig /Gertas/" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d564io$hfk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 4/27/2005 4:10 AM, cyber knight Russ gave sign:
> > Hi everyone,
> > If I have one Applet that is cpu intensive,
> > will running a second applet in another frame
> > improve this second applet's performance?
> > Worded another way: Will the second applet
> > get more cpu cycles in a different frame then
> > if it was in the same frame as the first?

>
> Hello,
>
> No, if a machine is a single-cpu then
> performance will be degraded.
> On a multi-cpu machines use threads
> within one applet - control is easier.


Pls excuse my ignorance, is a multi-cpu machine
different from hyperthreading?
<snip>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Betty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2005

"Betty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Piotr Gaertig /Gertas/" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d564io$hfk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On 4/27/2005 4:10 AM, cyber knight Russ gave sign:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > > If I have one Applet that is cpu intensive,
> > > will running a second applet in another frame
> > > improve this second applet's performance?
> > > Worded another way: Will the second applet
> > > get more cpu cycles in a different frame then
> > > if it was in the same frame as the first?

> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > No, if a machine is a single-cpu then
> > performance will be degraded.
> > On a multi-cpu machines use threads
> > within one applet - control is easier.

>
> Pls excuse my ignorance, is a multi-cpu machine
> different from hyperthreading?

I should mention that the reason I want to learn
about this is that I'm thinking of getting a faster
machine. In this regard, does 'shared' memory for
video slow it down much if I am not doing games?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Piotr Gaertig /Gertas/
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2005
On 5/2/2005 11:57 PM, cyber knight Betty gave sign
>> Pls excuse my ignorance, is a multi-cpu machine
>> different from hyperthreading?

> I should mention that the reason I want to learn
> about this is that I'm thinking of getting a faster
> machine. In this regard, does 'shared' memory for
> video slow it down much if I am not doing games?


I know it's realy OT but i answer:

About HT:
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,107492,00.asp
(In my opinion its next level of an optimisation -
as pipelining in the old Pentium days -
these two "logical" processors are marketing issues).

I will buy AMD64 on my next PC/notebook shopping

64-bit JVMs are ready

About shared video RAM:
Nothing special, just eats 8MB of RAM.
You should better buy 1GB of RAM
if you are going to use
Java + Eclipse + some J2EE servers and DBMS
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is load testing a web service with seperate threads from one machinethe same as a single thread from seperate machines? ses Java 5 03-29-2011 03:36 PM
How , system cpu and user cpu times calculates pavunkumar C Programming 1 02-27-2009 08:29 AM
HELP! Trying to understand the logic behind CPU core speeds and whole CPU speed. dimon Computer Support 4 11-10-2006 04:01 PM
Seperate validation for seperate user controls on same page moondaddy ASP .Net 2 10-16-2006 04:03 AM
Pentium CPU vs Intel Celeron CPU and the Wireless Mouse kirk lives! Computer Support 4 05-02-2004 06:59 PM



Advertisments