Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Don't like JSTL

Don't like JSTL

LspWvxEhvClk@spammotel.com

As a programmer, I don't like the JSTL concept of programming with
tags.
I would prefer the opposite concept: creating HTML with a program,
avoiding tags.

I would prefer something like:

html.startPage();

table.create(matrix); or table.makeRow( vector );

list.orderedList( vector );

Are there already people working on this?

Jens Martin Schlatter

Abrasive Sponge

> As a programmer, I don't like the JSTL concept of programming with
> tags.
> I would prefer the opposite concept: creating HTML with a program,
> avoiding tags.
>
> I would prefer something like:
>
> html.startPage();
>
> table.create(matrix); or table.makeRow( vector );
>
> list.orderedList( vector );
>
> Are there already people working on this?
>
> Jens Martin Schlatter

I don't. I love JSTL. But I know a few from our user group that won't
have it any other way.

kaeli

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
(E-Mail Removed) enlightened us with...
> As a programmer, I don't like the JSTL concept of programming with
> tags.
> I would prefer the opposite concept: creating HTML with a program,
> avoiding tags.
>
> I would prefer something like:
>
> html.startPage();
>
> table.create(matrix); or table.makeRow( vector );
>
> list.orderedList( vector );
>
> Are there already people working on this?

Yeah. It's called the Perl CGI libraries. LOL j/k

Servlets probably have similar libraries, if you look around.
If you don't like tags, don't use JSP. Use servlets instead. You can always
make your own libs similar to this if no one else has. Did you look at
Sourceforge?

This completely defeats the purpose of MVC design, though, which is what most
people are moving towards, not away from.

~kaeli~
When you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

LspWvxEhvClk@spammotel.com

> This completely defeats the purpose of MVC design, though, which is
what most
> people are moving towards, not away from.

After 20 years of software development, I know that the people are
moving towards MVC today and to something new tomorrow.

JMS

Murray

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> As a programmer, I don't like the JSTL concept of programming with
> tags.
> I would prefer the opposite concept: creating HTML with a program,
> avoiding tags.
>
> I would prefer something like:
>
> html.startPage();
>
> table.create(matrix); or table.makeRow( vector );
>
> list.orderedList( vector );
>
> Are there already people working on this?
>
> Jens Martin Schlatter

It's quite a while ago that I looked at it, but perhaps XMLC might be
*something like* what you're after? http://xmlc.objectweb.org/

Bryce

On 18 Apr 2005 07:06:19 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>As a programmer, I don't like the JSTL concept of programming with
>tags.
>I would prefer the opposite concept: creating HTML with a program,
>avoiding tags.
>
>I would prefer something like:
>
> html.startPage();
>
> table.create(matrix); or table.makeRow( vector );
>
> list.orderedList( vector );
>
>Are there already people working on this?

Try this:

http://jakarta.apache.org/ecs/index.html

--
now with more cowbell

Harald

(E-Mail Removed) writes:

> As a programmer, I don't like the JSTL concept of programming with
> tags.
> I would prefer the opposite concept: creating HTML with a program,
> avoiding tags.
>
> I would prefer something like:
>
> html.startPage();
>
> table.create(matrix); or table.makeRow( vector );

Yes, please, me toooo.-)
Harald.

--
---------------------+---------------------------------------------
Harald Kirsch (@home)|

Harald

kaeli <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> (E-Mail Removed) enlightened us with...
>> As a programmer, I don't like the JSTL concept of programming with
>> tags.
>> I would prefer the opposite concept: creating HTML with a program,
>> avoiding tags.
>>
>> I would prefer something like:
>>
>> html.startPage();
>>
>> table.create(matrix); or table.makeRow( vector );
>>
>> list.orderedList( vector );

> This completely defeats the purpose of MVC design, though, which is what most
> people are moving towards, not away from.

Hmm, why/how does MVC require a strange mix of HTML/Java/Tag
syntax. Sounds as if you are suggesting that MVC is not possible with
Java alone.

Harald.

--
---------------------+---------------------------------------------
Harald Kirsch (@home)|
Java Text Crunching: http://www.ebi.ac.uk/Rebholz-srv/whatizit/software

LspWvxEhvClk@spammotel.com

> Try this:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/ecs/index.html

This looks good. Do I have to download it to get the documentation?

Is it possible to use logical markup patterns ("this is an address") or
does it rely on the physical description ("bold and underline")?

Jens Martin Schlatter

kaeli

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) enlightened us with...

> Hmm, why/how does MVC require a strange mix of HTML/Java/Tag
> syntax. Sounds as if you are suggesting that MVC is not possible with
> Java alone.

Not at all.

~kaeli~
User: The word computer professionals use when they mean
'idiot'.