Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Why does JdbcRowSetImpl.close() close the database connection?

Why does JdbcRowSetImpl.close() close the database connection?

Paul van Rossem

(Posted this few weeks ago in c.l.j.databases, but got no reaction...)

In my opinion it is a design flaw that JdbcRowSetImpl.close() not only
closes the ResultSet, but also closes the database connection. The
ResultSet.close() interface specification, i.e. the contract that
JdbcRowSetImpl.close() should implement, does not mention this. I
consider this also an unwanted side-effect, since the close() is a
method of the RowSet, not of the Connection. And for instance
CachedRowSet does as expected: not closing the connection (and usually
can't). Any opinions on this? Or is this simply a bug?

I would like to be able to construct several JdbcRowSets on an existing
Connection. The JdbcRowSet(Connection) constructor suggests this is
possible. But this becomes a hassle if closing one of the JdbcRowSets
closes the Connection for all of them. I assume that re-opening the
connection for each JdbcRowSet (using the JdbcRowSet.execute() method)
causes a lot of unneeded overhead in logging in and out on the database
server for each data fetch, which I am doing a lot. Am I right?

I am considering to file a feature request (or even bug report?) with
SUN to have JdbcRowSetImpl.close() only discard the dataset, and add a
separate JdbcRowSetImpl.closeConnection() as a utility method to close
the database connection. Any opinions on this will be greatly appreciated...

Regards, Paul.