Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > which report writer?

which report writer?

Jeff

I'd appreciate the opinion of existing report generation software users. I
need to create a .pdf with a table of row labels and data from SQL queries.
I'd also like to put a few charts in from JChart.

There's JasperReports, DataVision, JFreeReport. Has anyone had a
particularly good or bad experience with any of these?

Thanks

--
Jeff

Rhino

> I'd appreciate the opinion of existing report generation software users.

> need to create a .pdf with a table of row labels and data from SQL

queries.
> I'd also like to put a few charts in from JChart.
>
> There's JasperReports, DataVision, JFreeReport. Has anyone had a
> particularly good or bad experience with any of these?

I haven't used any of the tools you listed but I'd like to add another
candidate to the list: iText. I've used it successfully to create PDFs
containing tables. I haven't tried to build any charts with it though; I'm
not sure if it can do that.

The main URL for iText is http://www.lowagie.com/iText/; you can also get
the code at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/itext/

iText is a free, open source API that is well documented with a detailed
tutorial and a large, active mailing list.

Rhino

Jason Herald

I personally like Forumla One e.Report Engine.

See here :
http://www.reportingengines.com/prod...e/overview.jsp

--
If you have any additional questions or need source code email

Thanks

Jason Herald
> I'd appreciate the opinion of existing report generation software users.
> I need to create a .pdf with a table of row labels and data from SQL
> queries. I'd also like to put a few charts in from JChart.
>
> There's JasperReports, DataVision, JFreeReport. Has anyone had a
> particularly good or bad experience with any of these?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Jeff

karlheinz klingbeil

Jeff schrub am Montag, 4. April 2005 13:06 folgendes:

> There's JasperReports, DataVision, JFreeReport. Has
> anyone had a particularly good or bad experience with
> any of these?

I am using JFreeReport in my Software (Rezeptbuch Pro,
free at the links below) and i can recommend it,
because it is easy to use and powerful enough to do
standard-like reports.
--
greetz Karlheinz Klingbeil (lunqual)
http://www.lunqual.de oder http:www.lunqual.net

Alex Molochnikov

You can try Scribe from www.reportgenerator.org.

It will let you run SQL quieries, create charts from JFreeChart and output
the results in various formats, including PDF.

Alex Molochnikov
Gestalt Corporation

> I'd appreciate the opinion of existing report generation software users.

> need to create a .pdf with a table of row labels and data from SQL

queries.
> I'd also like to put a few charts in from JChart.
>
> There's JasperReports, DataVision, JFreeReport. Has anyone had a
> particularly good or bad experience with any of these?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Jeff

John McGrath

On 4/4/2005 at 7:06:39 AM, Jeff wrote:

> There's JasperReports, DataVision, JFreeReport. Has anyone had a
> particularly good or bad experience with any of these?

I had good experiences with JasperReports on a project I worked on. I did
not actually write the reports - another developer did that, but he had
good things to say about Jasper and everything seemed to run very smoothly.

--
Regards,

John McGrath

John McGrath

On 4/4/2005 at 8:31:24 AM, Rhino wrote:

> > There's JasperReports, DataVision, JFreeReport. Has anyone had a
> > particularly good or bad experience with any of these?
> >

> I haven't used any of the tools you listed but I'd like to add another
> candidate to the list: iText. I've used it successfully to create PDFs
> containing tables.

FYI, JasperReports uses iText to generate PDF-formatted reports.

--
Regards,

John McGrath

David Segall

"Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'd appreciate the opinion of existing report generation software users. I
>need to create a .pdf with a table of row labels and data from SQL queries.
>I'd also like to put a few charts in from JChart.
>
>There's JasperReports, DataVision, JFreeReport. Has anyone had a
>particularly good or bad experience with any of these?
>
>Thanks

I don't know the others but I'm impressed with iReport
<http://ireport.sourceforge.net/> which is a front end to
JasperReports and allows you to visually design the reports.

steve

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 19:06:39 +0800, Jeff wrote
(in article <3d94e.3061$7b.2961@trndny02>):

> I'd appreciate the opinion of existing report generation software users. I
> need to create a .pdf with a table of row labels and data from SQL queries.
> I'd also like to put a few charts in from JChart.
>
> There's JasperReports, DataVision, JFreeReport. Has anyone had a
> particularly good or bad experience with any of these?
>
> Thanks

go with Ireports, it is a front end designer for jasperreports.

the result is that you can output in virtually any format:
pdf,XLS,HTml, tiff
etc
one "fly" in the ointment however, is that each time you upgrade the
JasperReport library, you have to re-compile ALL the reports.
which can be a pain for a distributed app.

Steve

Steve Green

I am in the process of rewriting a report generation tool I wrote in Java. I
intend to add some base level features that invalidate my previous work. I
would welcome some input as the types of features you desire in the report
tool. Somewhere down the road I will post the application to the web.

--Steve