Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > java application install on windows

java application install on windows

rodinw

Hi,
I wrote a java application and hen I distribute it to users, I put the
jre which includes all the necessary library and exes. Now I wrote some
other applications, when I distributes them, I did the same. The
question is, if a user uses more than one of my applications, he will
have multiple jre directorys on his hard disk. How to avoid this? It's
not practical to ask them to download Java themselves first.
Please give some advice.

Gerbrand van Dieijen

rodinw schreef:
> Hi,
> I wrote a java application and hen I distribute it to users, I put the
> jre which includes all the necessary library and exes. Now I wrote some
> other applications, when I distributes them, I did the same. The
> question is, if a user uses more than one of my applications, he will
> have multiple jre directorys on his hard disk. How to avoid this? It's
> not practical to ask them to download Java themselves first.
> Please give some advice.

Your installer can include the installer for the java plugin. You could
unpack the installer to a temporary directory and than install it,
possible withouth user intervention, by using silent installation.

You can do a silent install of Java.
See
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/...de/silent.html