Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Help with research

Help with research

elena

I'm a Java/C++ developer who is also studying psychology.

I would really appreciate it if you would complete a survey that I'm
using for a research project on programmers.

It's easy [Yes/No answers] and takes about 5 minutes.

I will be presenting the results at the American Psychological
Association convention in August.

The study link is:

http://www.elena.com

The survey measures "cognitive style" (analytical/intuitive) which
describes how you process information and learn. The people I've
pre-tested it with found it to be pretty interesting.

I can go to my friends, however it occurred to me that it might be
better to post in a newsgroup and get a larger, more diverse, and
random sample.

Thanks again for your time,

Elena

Patricia Shanahan

elena wrote:

> I'm a Java/C++ developer who is also studying psychology.
>
> I would really appreciate it if you would complete a survey that I'm
> using for a research project on programmers.
>
> It's easy [Yes/No answers] and takes about 5 minutes.
>
> I will be presenting the results at the American Psychological
> Association convention in August.
>
> The study link is:
>
> http://www.elena.com
>
> The survey measures "cognitive style" (analytical/intuitive) which
> describes how you process information and learn. The people I've
> pre-tested it with found it to be pretty interesting.
>
> I can go to my friends, however it occurred to me that it might be
> better to post in a newsgroup and get a larger, more diverse, and
> random sample.
>
> Thanks again for your time,
>
> Elena

I went to take the survey, but my answers for several of the
questions would be "Depends on the circumstances", which
is not one of the permitted answers.

For example, whether I scan a report or read it in detail
depends on what the report is about, and why I'm reading it.
If I just want a general impression of what it says, I scan
it. If I need to fully understand all its nuances, I read it
in detail.

Sometimes a careful, analytical approach to making decisions
takes too long. Other times, it is more important to make
the right decision than to have an answer immediately.

Being sure that something depends on the circumstances is
very different from being uncertain whether it is true or
false, the only meaning the instructions assign to "?".

Patricia

elena

Patricia,

I did not develop this instrument, but I have received similar comments
from others who have used it. There are probably of myriad of factors
that would affect your decision for each of the questions. I suspect
that is why the instructions tell you to answer quickly and to avoid
over-thinking your response. Psychological tests are studied
extensively for reliability and validity, as this one was. However, my
feeling is that none of these tests can capture the essence of a single
human being's way of thinking correctly, without failure. But it can
show a bias or tendency. And, showing that the test is valid and
reliable, and then administering it to a proper sample, might give
useful information about a population.

Thanks for taking the time to look at the test in any case. At the very
least, the experience seems to have helped you clarify that you are
more than comfortable switching between learning styles as needed.

Thanks again!

Elena

Microsoft User Research is looking for C++ devs in the Puget Soundarea using Visual Studio 2012 for an upcoming research study. Gina- Microsoft C++ 3 09-09-2012 06:08 AM
Help with research elena@monmouth.com Python 3 02-18-2005 08:44 PM
Help with research elena C++ 5 02-18-2005 11:06 AM
Research into Time Zones, Please Help! Dominic Bell Computer Support 5 06-27-2004 10:31 PM
Re: Help: Notebook PC market research questionnaire Brendon Rogers MCSE 1 09-20-2003 08:39 PM

Advertisments