Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Case Modding > Etching tutorials-or now for something completely different

Etching tutorials-or now for something completely different

Technoholic Technoholic is offline
Senior Member

Nevermind. >_<

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Etching is one of the things I do the most of. All my rigs have either hand etched windows or are clear cases that I've etched entirely. Here's some examples.
Motherboard panel for a clear UV case I did

Case lit up (showing left side panel etch, a bit blurry, sorry).

Same view, no lighting, unfortunately the etches don't show up here much.

Ok, that's just some examples, first thing, I don't use a dremel, those things are not the best for any of this kind of work (I don't even like to use them for cutting, their brushed motors blow way too much). I use an Optima rotary tool,

Which is quite a bit more expensive than a Dremel (Around $350-400 USD) but worth the price, as you can see, it's designed better and it's easier on the hands. One thing I recommend is that you also use a vacuume chamber or pump of some sort. I got two of them from my foot doctor, he had 'em left over when he hooked up his whole office with a large pump system. They'll keep the plastic dust out of your eyes and lungs, it can be VERY dangerous. (It's also good for when you're doing metal work as well).
As far as how you do it, well that's just something you have to practice at. I picked it up quickly because it's a lot like doing pyrography (woodburning) which I've been doing for a while now. It takes a steady hand and some drawing skills but if you have both of those it's just a matter of adapting to a new medium.
Any specific questions?
-Mike

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

i was about to say... "pyrography" i thought u spet porno wrong... and then i though.. WTF has porn got to do with etching!!! but pyro means fire so a ok!
i would like to know why dremels are so crappy... they suck for small cutting i know that... i just use a Jigsaw and Dremel... no etching here

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Hehe, Pyrography = Woodburning (my Pyrography site = http://www.thepyrographer.com).
Dremels don't necessarally suck, but I wouldn't use one for precision work or for heavy cutting. They're fine for small jobs and stuff like that. For one, they used a brush motor, which tends to blow out frequently where as the tool I use is totally brushless and if it gets overheated or overtasked it just stops for a moment, you turn it off, wait 10 seconds, turn it back on and it's fine. Also, the Dremel maxes out at 35,000 RPM, which is fine for some things but slow for others. The Optima tops out at 45,000 rpm and can, if need be, be pushed to 60,000 rpm. Then there's the simple matter of comfort and control. Handling a big unweildy dremel for etching (or finer cutting) is a pain and if you've used the snake like attachment you know that if you bend it even a little bit it stops working. The Optima is self contained and only a little larger than a big magic marker, which makes it ideal for detail work. Holding it close to the tip isn't much different than handling a pen, though heavier. Also, there's a second tool you can use with it (It's another $200) that's even more slender and tapered and feels really nice working with.
The tool is initially designed for woodworking but I had a long conversation with the guy who makes them, we went over all the details of what I wanted to use it for and we were able to determine that it'd do the job well and so far it has. Adding the vacuume hose (basically a plastic tube very much like you'd use for water cooling, maybe a tad thicker) does make it a little more difficult to hold but still not as bad as a dremel. Plus I don't think you could add the vacuume to the dremel and handle it well at all.
-Mike

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

hehe yer.. but modders alike dont have 300 US for a dremel replacement

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Not all do, no, but if yer in the business of building modded rigs for people you wanna have decent tools. I'm hoping to one day be able to get a plasma cutter, that'd be nice to have. Then maybe a small welding unit. But really, $300 or so isn't a lot, consider that the better dremels cost around $100 or so, then add the cost of the snake (About $35) and then the cost to replace the brushes every few months, you'll be halfway there soon. If you're just doing one mod for your own use, yeah, no point in splurging then, sure. Also this ain't just a dremel replacement, it's also an etching and engraving tool and a woodworking tool. Yeah, a dremel could do those things, but not real well. Anywho, the point is, being able to do the etching, that's what yer asking about here, right? You can do it with a dremel, yeah. I've done it with a dremel until I got the Optima, in fact, half of the Titan was done using a dremel before I got the Optima. So it's certanly doable.

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

sweet.. i want to etch the sunbeam logo on my VCR mod.. u have to write a small tut

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Hmm, okay... I'll do that. I've done one before, shouldn't be difficult. If ya like it you can move it to the proper place. I'll post it as a new thread.

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

ok, i will make u a guest writer, and u can have a proper page thats if u want to.
that goes for everyone too .. send me the pictures and all (small size and big for thumbnails) and i can make a Howto at velocityreviews for u , and give it some advertisement .

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Sounds cool... I'll do up a decent tut on working with clay, that usually gets people interested.