Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > trouble installing BlueJ - no Java system installed

trouble installing BlueJ - no Java system installed

Tim923

Visiting the webpage, it said:
"You should download J2SDK from the Sun Microsystems Java website and
install it. You can get it here: java.sun.com/j2se"

Should I download 5.0 (Core) or 1.4.2 (Desktop)?

Tim923

>Should I download 5.0 (Core) or 1.4.2 (Desktop)?

We will be writing small programs for a low level Java course in
Windows (not Unix).

klynn47@comcast.net

Unless you have a need for the new capabilities in 5.0, I would
recommend 1.4.2

Steve Horsley

Tim923 wrote:
> Visiting the webpage, it said:
> "You should download J2SDK from the Sun Microsystems Java website and
> install it. You can get it here: java.sun.com/j2se"
>
> Should I download 5.0 (Core) or 1.4.2 (Desktop)?

I would suggest that you use SDK version 1.5. I really cannot find it on
the web site now, but I know that bluej version 2.0 added support for
java 1.5. If ypu are running a java course, you will want to be able to
teach the latest syntax - generics and the like that java 1.5 introduced.

Anyway - 1.5 looks prettier.

Steve

Steve Horsley

Steve Horsley wrote:

> I would suggest that you use SDK version 1.5. I really cannot find it on
> the web site now, but I know that bluej version 2.0 added support for
> java 1.5. If ypu are running a java course, you will want to be able to
> teach the latest syntax - generics and the like that java 1.5 introduced.
>
> Anyway - 1.5 looks prettier.

P.S.
The Sun web site seems completely useles at the moment. I guess it's being
swamped with downloads of solaris 10.

Steve

Tim923

>Anyway - 1.5 looks prettier.
>
>Steve

Is 5.0 the new number for 1.5? I think I read that.
I'm taking the course (not the professor). Maybe I'll ask him.

Chris Uppal

Steve Horsley wrote:

> > Should I download 5.0 (Core) or 1.4.2 (Desktop)?

> I would suggest that you use SDK version 1.5. I really cannot find it on
> the web site now, but I know that bluej version 2.0 added support for
> java 1.5. If ypu are running a java course, you will want to be able to
> teach the latest syntax - generics and the like that java 1.5 introduced.

In all probability using the 1.5 version won't cause any problems.

BUT !

The "latest" stuff in Java 1.5 (or Java 5, if you prefer) will be of less than
zero value to new programmers.

Especially, it will have negative value to anyone using BlueJ, since their
teacher (apparently) has the sense to realise that OO is the important
concept-set to focus on.

Generics do /not/ belong in a beginners class.

('I'm tempted to go father than that, but this is not the occasion...

-- chris

Tim923

>In all probability using the 1.5 version won't cause any problems.

Need I download the package that comes with Netbeans? Is there a
faster website to download Java 5. Sun's is like 2KB per second.

Thomas Weidenfeller

Tim923 wrote:
> Visiting the webpage, it said:
> "You should download J2SDK from the Sun Microsystems Java website and
> install it. You can get it here: java.sun.com/j2se"
>
> Should I download 5.0 (Core) or 1.4.2 (Desktop)?

Does the BlueJ web site say BlueJ runs with 5.0 (which is equal to 1.5,
don't ask ...), or 1.4.something. Depending on what BlueJ wants,
download 5.0 (1.5) or 1.4.something.

/Thomas

--
The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:

Thomas Weidenfeller

Tim923 wrote:
> Is 5.0 the new number for 1.5? I think I read that.

Yes 5.0 is Sun's marketing stunt for renaming 1.5.

> I'm taking the course (not the professor). Maybe I'll ask him.

Sounds like a good plan.

/Thomas

--
The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:

java programming blueJ help karatev123@yahoo.com Java 0 10-11-2011 02:03 PM
[Bluej-announce] NetBeans IDE 5.0 BlueJ Edition Released IchBin Java 0 07-29-2006 04:13 AM
NetBeans IDE to Provide Support for Leading Educational Tool: BlueJ IchBin Java 0 03-15-2006 06:25 PM
Re: bluej help Steve Horsley Java 1 10-21-2003 10:18 PM
BlueJ Arguments Edward Rice Java 1 07-04-2003 02:42 PM

Advertisments