Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Struts: Data exchange between different applications

Struts: Data exchange between different applications

John

Hi group,

by using the Java Jakarta Struts framework, is there a way to exchange
data between different web applications deployed at the same servlet
container directly by using something similar tothe servlet context or
the session context?

TIA
John

Hive

> is there a way to exchange data between different web applications deployed
> at the same servlet

With or without Struts, the answer is no. There is no common context
for the whole servlet container.

--

H.

Aleksander =?iso-8859-2?Q?Str=B1czek?=

Hive wrote:

>> is there a way to exchange data between different web applications deployed
>> at the same servlet

> With or without Struts, the answer is no. There is no common context
> for the whole servlet container.

Not exactly - there is no common context for whole servlet container
in servlet spec, but some containers have container specific no-spec extensions:

In Jakarta Tomcat container read:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tom...g/context.html
crossContext attribute

For other containers check doc for specific container
(WebSphere has Shared Session Context option in EAR deployment descriptor).

--
HTH, Olek

Hive

> Not exactly - there is no common context for whole servlet container
> in servlet spec, but some containers have container specific no-spec extensions:

You are right, there probably are some vendor specific solutions
but this feature does not exist in specification for good security
related reasons. It might be a good idea to strongly suggest the
original poster that most likely he or she can do well without
this feature, thus staying fully J2EE compatible and avoiding while
after migrating to other server etc.

--

H.

Wendy S

"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> by using the Java Jakarta Struts framework, is there a way to exchange
> data between different web applications deployed at the same servlet
> container directly by using something similar tothe servlet context or
> the session context?

What are you trying to do? What kind of information do you need to share
between webapps?

Depending on what it is, you could put the information in a database that
can be accessed by all of the webapps, or you can have the webapps
themselves be able answer requests for info. (As complex as web services,
or as simple as a Servlet that looks at some request parameters and 'prints'
out the text response.)

--
Wendy S

John

Thanks for all the replies.

The idea behind my question was and is, to realise something like a
singe-sign-on whithout a huge effort. But after re-thinking the answers
it does not seem to be that easy. Maybe I will have to study some
Portal definitions or the Java Portlet API or maybe there is a solution
in using some directory services like JNDI or LDAP.

Greets
John