Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > enterprise application development versus traditional software development

enterprise application development versus traditional software development

jrefactors@hotmail.com

I try to compare enterprise application development with traditional
software development. Looks like the major difference is that
enterprise application development has deployment phase, but not in
other applications such as desktop applications.

please advise. thanks

David Segall

>I try to compare enterprise application development with traditional
>software development. Looks like the major difference is that
>enterprise application development has deployment phase, but not in
>other applications such as desktop applications.
>
>please advise. thanks

"Enterprise application" seems to be a term introduced by the major
software vendors in order to extract as much money as possible from
the customers they perceived as having the most to spend. From my
observation the most significant factor they found was that enterprise
applications involved a substantial database component. Here is a
document that indicates the difference between Borland's JBuilder
Foundation (free), Professional ($500.00), and Enterprise ($3,500.00)
versions
(http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/pdf/...re_matrix.pdf). You
will find that Microsoft and IBM have made similar distinctions with
their development products.

dar7yl

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I try to compare enterprise application development with traditional
> software development. Looks like the major difference is that
> enterprise application development has deployment phase, but not in
> other applications such as desktop applications.

The major difference is that "Enterprise" development is designed to look
sexy to Fortune-500 wannabe executives. It is just another buzz-word to
sell vastly inflated, under-designed, software that almost worked for one
application, cobbled up to look like it works for everything, with flashy
shrink-wrapped packaging, and corresponding price.

For a perfect example, look at Crystal Reports, which used to be a good
product.
(see http://www.itbusiness.ca/index.asp?t...n=61&sid=57844 )
As a developer, I tried to implement their enterprise solution, and while it
may appear simple enough for a manager to use, it requires a full IT
department to maintain. (and it still has a cruddy user interface)

regards,
Dar7yl