Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java Newbie Question - Java on Windows Server 2003

Java Newbie Question - Java on Windows Server 2003

peelman

Hello,

This is my first post to this group and I am quite new to java. Here
is the background to my question:

- I have written in Java using Eclipse, a card game server. I accept
client connections from an applet and add players to card games and
they play cards. Wow, sounds great you must be thinking. Anyway I
have been in talking to a hosting company about servers to host this on
and was going to host on Linux (Redhat/Fedora). But the guy at the
hosting recommended Windows Server 2003 because my website in .NET. So
that leaves me the concern..

...how reliable, fast, etc is running my Java server on windows rather
linux? I am concerned that running the Java on Windows may be
problematic. Anybody who has experience or insight into this, I
welcome your advice.

Thanks in advance,

Neil

John C. Bollinger

peelman wrote:

> ..how reliable, fast, etc is running my Java server on windows rather
> linux? I am concerned that running the Java on Windows may be
> problematic. Anybody who has experience or insight into this, I
> welcome your advice.

The general performance and reliability of Java on any platform is a
function of the Java Virtual Machine used. Sun makes, and distributes
and licenses without fee, a very good Java virtual machine that runs on
Windows. There are others, but I have no specific experience with them.

John Bollinger

anonymous

peelman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is my first post to this group and I am quite new to java. Here
> is the background to my question:
>
> - I have written in Java using Eclipse, a card game server. I accept
> client connections from an applet and add players to card games and
> they play cards. Wow, sounds great you must be thinking. Anyway I
> have been in talking to a hosting company about servers to host this on
> and was going to host on Linux (Redhat/Fedora). But the guy at the
> hosting recommended Windows Server 2003 because my website in .NET. So
> that leaves me the concern..
>
> ..how reliable, fast, etc is running my Java server on windows rather
> linux? I am concerned that running the Java on Windows may be
> problematic. Anybody who has experience or insight into this, I
> welcome your advice.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Neil

Half of my customers run my programs on Windows, the other half on some
form of Unix, mostly Linux.
No problem.