Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > How do I retrieve a unique computer ID from java

How do I retrieve a unique computer ID from java

Rick D.

Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to retrieve unique information from a specific
computer from a java application. Things like NIC/Mac number,
processor info or any information that can be used to make some kind
of computer ID. I've browsed the api documentation, and used google to
search but didn't find anything useful. Does anybody know if it can be
done or is it just not possible in java.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Rick

frankgerlach22@gmx.de

Did you check the java.net package ?
Eg: stHostname=java.net.InetAddress.getLocalHost().get HostName();
gives you the hostname of the current machine. Compute a hash on the
hostname
if you need a number. Either use the hashCode() method or (more
sophisticated)
perform an MD5.

Michael Borgwardt

> Did you check the java.net package ?
> Eg: stHostname=java.net.InetAddress.getLocalHost().get HostName();
> gives you the hostname of the current machine.

Hostnames are worthless as UID, even if you use getCanonicalHostName();
in dialup networks, hostnames are shifted around just as much as IP
addresses.

Yakov Fain

Rick D. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a way to retrieve unique information from a specific
> computer from a java application. Things like NIC/Mac number,
> processor info or any information that can be used to make some kind
> of computer ID. I've browsed the api documentation, and used google

> search but didn't find anything useful. Does anybody know if it can

be
> done or is it just not possible in java.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Best Regards,
> Rick

Find a way to get it using a command from your computer's OS.
Then call this command from Java using Runtime.getRunTime().exec()
Regards,
Yakov Fain

Tom Dyess

"Yakov Fain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Rick D. wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm looking for a way to retrieve unique information from a specific
>> computer from a java application. Things like NIC/Mac number,
>> processor info or any information that can be used to make some kind
>> of computer ID. I've browsed the api documentation, and used google

>> search but didn't find anything useful. Does anybody know if it can

> be
>> done or is it just not possible in java.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Rick

> Find a way to get it using a command from your computer's OS.
> Then call this command from Java using Runtime.getRunTime().exec()
> Regards,
> Yakov Fain

I would shoot for the Nic's MAC address, or make a mixed key using several
identifiers such as mac+os+hostname.

--
Tom Dyess
OraclePower.com