Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Microsoft and Sun JVM ?

Microsoft and Sun JVM ?

IchBin

avp wrote:
> hi there,
>
> sorry for cross-posting
>
> I am a newbie with Java programming here, I have written a simple applet
> using Java SDK 1.4.2 now when i try to run this applet on other system
> without sun's JVM impementation this does not run, i know that the Microsoft
> JVM is suppose to be present on all the system except newer Windows XP, also
> i have tested my applet on all the system using Sun JVM > 1.3 and it runs
>
> I am looking for some way for my applet to run using Microsoft JVM
>
> any suggestions ??

Lot's of luck...

Sorry I can not be more instructive but MS VM's an unsupported version
of sun's. MS would love to have Java users to have hard times because of
their own implementation of c#. You would have to distribute your applet
with Sun's 'Java Web Start' and this could download a JVM that is more
Java compliment and current...

Happy New Year...
IchBin

'The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical
substances:
if there is any reaction, both are transformed.'
- Carl Gustav Jung, (1875-1961), psychiatrist and psychologist

Andrew Thompson

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 12:26:05 -0800, avp wrote:

> sorry for cross-posting

Most people would prefer that you refrain from cross-posting,
rather than do it and apologise. If you are apologising for
something that has already happened *prevuisly* and is somehow
connected with this thread, ignore the above.

> I am a newbie with Java programming here, I have written a simple applet

How simple? Swing/AWT? Code?

...URL? (you can link to the code even)

> using Java SDK 1.4.2 now when i try to run this applet on other system
> without sun's JVM impementation this does not run, ..

Does it walk? Maybe it is just weary.

To put that another, less sarcastic way..
<http://physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#exact>

>..i know that the Microsoft
> JVM is suppose to be present on all the system except newer Windows XP,

The MSJVM was never installed in IE for the Mac.

>..also
> i have tested my applet on all the system using Sun JVM > 1.3

You cannot have tested on anything but Windows, by the sounds of it,
so that is hardly 'all the system'..

>..and it runs
>
> I am looking for some way for my applet to run using Microsoft JVM
>
> any suggestions ??

1) Find out if the code can run on Java 1.1 as is.
(supply URL and link to short code)

[ Note: F'Ups set to c.l.j.help only ]

--
Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson

*

>..distribute your applet with Sun's 'Java Web Start' ..

If the applet is intended for Java 1.3+, this is an excellent solution.

* Though there are other options, including Sun's HTMLConverter
and the JavaVersionApplet.
<http://physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#version>

>..and this could download a JVM that is more Java compliment ..

'compliant'

> ..and current...

Like, this millenium! The MSVM (last version around 96?) is
a dinosaur by comparison.

[ F'Ups set to c.l.j.programmer ]

--
Andrew Thompson

avp

hi there,

sorry for cross-posting

I am a newbie with Java programming here, I have written a simple applet
using Java SDK 1.4.2 now when i try to run this applet on other system
without sun's JVM impementation this does not run, i know that the Microsoft
JVM is suppose to be present on all the system except newer Windows XP, also
i have tested my applet on all the system using Sun JVM > 1.3 and it runs

I am looking for some way for my applet to run using Microsoft JVM

any suggestions ??

Andrew Thompson

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 14:37:58 -0800, avp wrote:

Trimmed all the stuff that confirmed you were writing applets that
*are* Java 1.1 compatible. That is an important thing to understand,
since there is no reason to make an AWT applet 1.1 incompatible through
poor choice of compilation options. But..

> my current code didnt worked with 1.1, i have to modify it and then compile
> it with 1.1.8 and it worked

You don't actually need to compilke with Java 1.1.8 in order
to get class files that are 1.1 compatible. If your *code* is
1.1 compatible, you can simply compile with the "-target 1.1" option
if you are using a pre 1.5 compiler, or "-target 1.1 -source 1.3"
for the 1.5 javac. Something like

javac -target 1.1 -source 1.3 *.java

> thank you

You're welcome. But you're not finished until you have the
applet safely tucked into some valid HTML with sensible alt/alternate
text. ..So where's that URL?

[ F-Ups set to c.l.j.help ]

--
Andrew Thompson

avp

hi
"Andrew Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 12:26:05 -0800, avp wrote:
>
> > sorry for cross-posting

> Most people would prefer that you refrain from cross-posting,
> rather than do it and apologise. If you are apologising for
> something that has already happened *prevuisly* and is somehow
> connected with this thread, ignore the above.

thank you, i will remember this next time

> > I am a newbie with Java programming here, I have written a simple applet

> How simple? Swing/AWT? Code?

its a very basic Class extending Applet using AWT, displaying 15 labels on
the screen
I would like to run this applet on the older MS systems which comes with
some default MSVM, and i would like to target other java versions as well <
1.3*

> ..URL? (you can link to the code even)
> > using Java SDK 1.4.2 now when i try to run this applet on other system
> > without sun's JVM impementation this does not run, ..

> Does it walk? Maybe it is just weary.

Opps !! run = execute

> To put that another, less sarcastic way..
> <http://physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#exact>

thanks for the great FAQ ! but still it didnt help me, I am still googling,

> >..i know that the Microsoft
> > JVM is suppose to be present on all the system except newer Windows XP,

> The MSJVM was never installed in IE for the Mac.

didnt knew that !

> >..also
> > i have tested my applet on all the system using Sun JVM > 1.3

> You cannot have tested on anything but Windows, by the sounds of it,
> so that is hardly 'all the system'..

yep ! you are right

> >..and it runs
> >
> > I am looking for some way for my applet to run using Microsoft JVM
> >
> > any suggestions ??

> 1) Find out if the code can run on Java 1.1 as is.
> (supply URL and link to short code)

my current code didnt worked with 1.1, i have to modify it and then compile
it with 1.1.8 and it worked

thank you

minhaz

for watching u r applet plzz use applet browser and never try to test
java product in ms like j++ of j# this both are implemented by microsoft

Andrew Thompson

On 2 Jan 2005 16:40:48 -0800, minhaz wrote:

> for watching u r applet plzz

For typing usenet posts please use your 'shift' key where appropriate..
<http://www.physci.org/kbd.jsp?key=shift>

Most people would also appreciate if you dropped the 'kewl'
abbreviations like 'u r' and 'plzz'.

>..use applet browser ..

Applet browser is OK for some applet testing but there are many
things it cannot do - anything to do with mutliple applets or
applet/Javascript interaction for example - it also presents a
less restricted security environment for the applet, so some
things that work locally in AppletViewer will fail on the net.

>..and never try to test java product in ms ..

Since IE/Java interaction can be quite 'quirky' it makes perfect
sense to test your applets in a Win/IE* combo., if available.

* Amongst other browser/VM/OS posibilities.

[ F'Ups set to c.l.j.help ]

--
Andrew Thompson

avp

hi !!
"Andrew Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 14:37:58 -0800, avp wrote:

[...]
> You don't actually need to compilke with Java 1.1.8 in order
> to get class files that are 1.1 compatible. If your *code* is
> 1.1 compatible, you can simply compile with the "-target 1.1" option
> if you are using a pre 1.5 compiler, or "-target 1.1 -source 1.3"
> for the 1.5 javac. Something like
>
> javac -target 1.1 -source 1.3 *.java

mm..i was expecting something like this might be there,..

> > thank you

> You're welcome. But you're not finished until you have the
> applet safely tucked into some valid HTML with sensible alt/alternate
> text. ..So where's that URL?

currently I am testing it using my local IIS, i'll try to get back when i am
through with the applet

and once again, very thank you