Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: Symbian or J2ME, which one is the trend?

Re: Symbian or J2ME, which one is the trend?

Andrew McDonagh

Maxim Kasimov wrote:

>> hi,
>>
>> For mobile software development, J2ME is more portable and widely
>> supported; Symbian, with the largest mobile OS market share, is more
>> feature-rich and powerful. They each has pro's and con's.
>>
>> I wander nowadays which one is the trend...are more and more people
>> moving to J2ME platform for development of mobile software, or there
>> are still a lot of people firmly sticking to Symbian native
>> development.
>>
>> Thanks very much.
>>

> IMHO it does not matter which platform have more features than another.
> Matters only the content you can make - if for game or application
> implementing
> quite enough features of midp1.0 you should not use Symbian native
> development.

Mobile operators favour Java over symbian - so much so that our symbian
apps development has stopped and has been ported to Java.

Its because there's actually far more Java enabled phones than Symbian.

Maxim Kasimov

Andrew McDonagh wrote:
> Maxim Kasimov wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> For mobile software development, J2ME is more portable and widely
>>> supported; Symbian, with the largest mobile OS market share, is more
>>> feature-rich and powerful. They each has pro's and con's.
>>>
>>> I wander nowadays which one is the trend...are more and more people
>>> moving to J2ME platform for development of mobile software, or there
>>> are still a lot of people firmly sticking to Symbian native
>>> development.
>>>
>>> Thanks very much.
>>>

>> IMHO it does not matter which platform have more features than another.
>> Matters only the content you can make - if for game or application
>> implementing
>> quite enough features of midp1.0 you should not use Symbian native
>> development.
>>

> Mobile operators favour Java over symbian - so much so that our symbian
> apps development has stopped and has been ported to Java.
>
> Its because there's actually far more Java enabled phones than Symbian.

IMHO at other side (as i've said before: matters only the content)
you can make some Symbian application for only one model and it will be more
popular than any other of your java-game you have ever made for a lot models

--
Best regards,
Maxim