Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Creating a custom JSF component?

Creating a custom JSF component?

stefoid

Hi, Im wondering what would be the best approach to solve this problem:

In my web app (game) I need a scrollable map made of at least 100x100
hexagons. The user can click on a hexagon to get more information
about it (need a trip to the server), and they can also move units from
one hexagon to another).

Pretty standard stuff, but I want to implement it thin_as_I_can client,
and I want to use JSF.

I suppose this would be a custom component. Probably an applet would
be the easiest way to implement the map, but is there anyway to nicely
integrate an applet into the JSF framework, perhaps as a JSF component?

Andrea Desole

I've never written an applet, but I would say that JSF is better,
because you don't need any plugin on your browser, which probably suits
better your thin_as_I_can requirement. I would also think that you
probably have to develop two custom components, or at least one
component and one renderer: one for the single hexagon, and one for the
map itself, that is, the container.