Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > J2EE limitations and disadvantages

J2EE limitations and disadvantages

Sean Winship

Hello,

I'm being pulled in to a J2EE project (application server, EJBs, JCA,
the works). I have extensive Java experience (including JDBC, JMS,
and servlets), but have thus far avoided full J2EE because my initial
investigations of it led me to conclude that it is unnecessarily
complex, and inelegant. It seems to be one of those techologies that
force developers to spend more time fighting with it than solving the
real business problem.

Is this perception correct? To assist in my ramping up on this
project, I would appreciate pointers to documented, real world
experience. What problems does J2EE solve well? Where does it fall
down? What is the cost relative to the benefits? Is it possible to
use it only where it works well and to integrate it with alternatives,
or is there too much coupling?

I don't have the option of not using J2EE on this project, but I would
like to know in advance where my fingers are likely to get pinched.

Thanks,

Sean