Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > interesting thin-client problem

interesting thin-client problem

stefoid

An applet is certainly the easiest way to implement the map component
from my point of view, however I wonder if an applet can be made to fit
the JSF framework - like can an applet be wrapped up as a JSF
component?

Anyway, it seems I have a few options -

a) a straight server-side image map
b) a custom JSF component that does a bit of client-side processing
with javascript

c) an applet

thanks all

Mark Murphy wrote:
> stefoid wrote:
> > hmm, I just realised that JSF components can be (usually are?) made
> > with JSP and javascript. so maybe I could create a 'hex map' JSF
> > component. Would kind of break my rule about @$@#$ around with JSP

and
> > so on.
> >
> > It would have to
> >
> > 1) generate a scrollable and zoomable hex map
> > 2) display the players units/objects in the hexes they occupy
> > 3) display some information about the hex and possible units on

mouse
> > rollover
> > 4) display detailed information when the hex is clicked on,

possibly in
> > a popup window
> > 5) allow a unit to be moved from its current hex to a destination

hex

> > would all that be possible with javascript? Using this kind of

client
> > side processing would mean the client would have to have a lot of

data
> > about the map and its contents. Lets say the map was 100x100

hexes,
> > each with a name, a type, and optionally some containing a number

of
> > units of possibly differing types. Even at only 50 bytes per hex,
> > thats half a meg of data. I cant see any way around the client

having
> > to ask the server for specific information about each hex. hmmm...
> >

> I think you can do what you want with a Java applet.
>
> I'm actually working on something similar to this designed more for a

> D&D RPG type game. It's my first Java project. I always find working

on
> games make learning a new programming language more fun. Its fully a
> Java application that I will convert to an applet when I'm done.
>
> I started by developing my own animation panel for the map:
> 1)The map can scroll in either dimension just by moving close to the
> edge of the screen.
> 2)The mouse location is continuously monitored, so hovering in one
> location can trigger a popup image or text to be added in the frame.
> 3) A grid ( in my case rectangular) can be turned on or off at will.
> 4) Clicking in any location takes the Panel location -> map

conversion
> -> then the object in that location is notified it is clicked on. In

my
> case this notifies the Char that they are active and moves them to

then
> next location. In your case it sounds like you want to open a new

image.

> My server that I will post this on does not run Java servers, so I
> handle all of the communication, move data, map updates with POSTs to
> a PHP script that returns requested data.
>
> I hope this gives you some ideas. Let me know if you want more

details

Interesting nat problem G.G. Cisco 2 12-02-2005 09:22 PM
Interesting problem with NAT and VPN (not the usual question) Jim Westwood Cisco 6 10-15-2005 05:07 PM
Interesting ping problem Cpt_CAM Cisco 2 04-18-2005 08:51 AM
Interesting Ping Problem with Gigaman Circuits and Cisco 4006 Switches - Anyone? Cpt_Cam Cisco 7 10-05-2004 05:29 AM
BGP and NAT... interesting problem Gollum Cisco 3 12-17-2003 06:22 PM

Advertisments