Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > French diacritical marks

French diacritical marks

adamskim

Hi.

I have a problem which I can't solve it myself.
I want to read a text file which contain a french diacritical marks,
like:

/ \ ^
a a a

and print it on System.out

Unfortunately instead of first mark ('a' with accent) I get "?". Two
others are printed good.
I hope that you understand me. My English isn't very good, but I can't
find solution on polish site.

Michael

JScoobyCed

adamskim wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a problem which I can't solve it myself.
> I want to read a text file which contain a french diacritical marks,
> like:
>

> / \ ^
> a a a
>
> and print it on System.out
>
> Unfortunately instead of first mark ('a' with accent) I get "?". Two
> others are printed good.
> I hope that you understand me. My English isn't very good, but I can't
> find solution on polish site.
>
> Michael

Umm... I just wonder which french word contains the first 'a' with
accent that you list.

---
JSC

Michael Borgwardt

adamskim wrote:
> I have a problem which I can't solve it myself.
> I want to read a text file which contain a french diacritical marks,
> like:
>

> / \ ^
> a a a
>
> and print it on System.out
>
> Unfortunately instead of first mark ('a' with accent) I get "?".

No, I think it's the *second* one that goes wrong, because it's in
ISO-8859-1 but not in ISO-8859-2 which is probably your platform
default encoding, judging from your .pl email address.

> Two
> others are printed good.

1. find out which character encoding is used in the file - probably ISO-8859-1
2. find out which character encoding is used by your console - probably ISO-8859-2
3. If the console encoding or font doesn't support the character, change it.
4. If both encodings are the same, just write the file's *bytes*
to System.out and don't mess with chars and Strings at all.
5. If not, specify the file encoding while reading it and then print to System.out

Tilman Bohn

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:19:38 +0700, JScoobyCed wrote:

[...]
> Umm... I just wonder which french word contains the first 'a' with
> accent that you list.

Par exemple: ge.

Cheers, Tilman

--
`Boy, life takes a long time to live...' -- Steven Wright

Real Gagnon

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (adamskim) wrote in news:b3fa7053.0412121610.2fe26616
@posting.google.com:

> Unfortunately instead of first mark ('a' with accent) I get "?". Two
> others are printed good.

See http://www.rgagnon.com/javadetails/java-0046.html

Bye.
--
Real Gagnon from Quebec, Canada
* Looking for Java or PB snippets ? Visit Real's How-to