Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Where to place configuration files when using WAR-Files

Where to place configuration files when using WAR-Files

Stephan Koser

Hi,

we'd like to provide our web application as a WAR-File. Up to now we have
our configuration files inside the WEB-INF directory.
But we don't want to force our clients to unpack, edit and pack the war file
if they want to configure the application. Instead we want to provide a
configuration dialog at the first call of our application.
But the question is: Where to place the configuration?

We don't want to put it in the WAR file. So, are there any standards in J2EE
where to place configuration files, that may change during runtime?
Any hints?

thank you.

--
bye Stephan...

monroeds@hampton-data.com

Stephan Koser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we'd like to provide our web application as a WAR-File. Up to now we

have
> our configuration files inside the WEB-INF directory.
> But we don't want to force our clients to unpack, edit and pack the

war file
> if they want to configure the application. Instead we want to provide

> configuration dialog at the first call of our application.
> But the question is: Where to place the configuration?
>
> We don't want to put it in the WAR file. So, are there any standards

in J2EE
> where to place configuration files, that may change during runtime?
> Any hints?

Your question is highly container dependent. What container are you
using?

Stephan Koser

<(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Stephan Koser wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > we'd like to provide our web application as a WAR-File. Up to now we

> have
> > our configuration files inside the WEB-INF directory.
> > But we don't want to force our clients to unpack, edit and pack the

> war file
> > if they want to configure the application. Instead we want to provide

> > configuration dialog at the first call of our application.
> > But the question is: Where to place the configuration?
> >
> > We don't want to put it in the WAR file. So, are there any standards

> in J2EE
> > where to place configuration files, that may change during runtime?
> > Any hints?

> Your question is highly container dependent. What container are you
> using?

Well, we try to support as many App-Servers as possible.
Up to now: Tomcat, OC4J, Oracle IAS, IBM WebSphere, Bea WebLogic and some
others that are not well known.

The solution should work with as many as possible.

--
bye Stephan...

Juha Laiho

"Stephan Koser" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>we'd like to provide our web application as a WAR-File. Up to now we have
>our configuration files inside the WEB-INF directory.
>But we don't want to force our clients to unpack, edit and pack the war file
>if they want to configure the application. Instead we want to provide a
>configuration dialog at the first call of our application.
>But the question is: Where to place the configuration?
>
>We don't want to put it in the WAR file. So, are there any standards in J2EE
>where to place configuration files, that may change during runtime?

You might check whether you can provide the configuration through JNDI
subsystem. Perhaps even let go of the actual configuration file altogether,
and move the individual variables into entries in the JNDI naming hierarchy.

Or then just pass the conf.file name as a JNDI resource.

Works for "big" app.servers, and works for Tomcat from at least 4.1 versions.
--
Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland