Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > please recommend a design pattern book in java

please recommend a design pattern book in java

metfan

I searched Amazon and it came out a list, could you please recommend one, which one is of the best for a mid-level programmer? Thanks.

1) Design Patterns Java Workbook by Steven John Metsker
2) Applied Java Patterns by Stephen A. Stelting
3) Java Design Patterns: A Tutorial by James William Cooper
4) Patterns in Java: A Catalog of Reusable Design Patterns Illustrated with UML, 2nd Edition, Volume 1 by Mark Grand
5) Java Design: Objects, UML, and Process by Kirk Knoernschild
6) Object-Oriented Software Engineering: Using UML, Patterns and Java, Second Edition by Bernd Bruegge
7) Software Architecture Design Patterns in Java by Partha Kuchana

TechBookReport

metfan wrote:
> I searched Amazon and it came out a list, could you please recommend
> one, which one is of the best for a mid-level programmer? Thanks.
>
> 1) Design Patterns Java Workbook by Steven John Metsker
> 2) Applied Java Patterns by Stephen A. Stelting
> 3) Java Design Patterns: A Tutorial by James William Cooper
> 4) Patterns in Java: A Catalog of Reusable Design Patterns Illustrated
> with UML, 2nd Edition, Volume 1 by Mark Grand
> 5) Java Design: Objects, UML, and Process by Kirk Knoernschild
> 6) Object-Oriented Software Engineering: Using UML, Patterns and Java,
> Second Edition by Bernd Bruegge
> 7) Software Architecture Design Patterns in Java by Partha Kuchana

I'm reading 'Design Patterns Explained: A New Perspective on
Object-Oriented Design by Alan Shalloway and James J. Trott'
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...76811-2159833).
It's very good, easy to understand, clearly explained examples and Java
code to illustrate the examples.

Pan
TechBookReport http://www.techbookreport.com

Thomas Weidenfeller

metfan wrote:
> I searched Amazon and it came out a list, could you please recommend
> one, which one is of the best for a mid-level programmer? Thanks.

Why not start with the classic:

Gamma, Helm, Johnson, Vlissides: Design Patterns. Elements of Reusable
Object-Oriented Software.

/Thomas

Ann

"metfan" <qjzhupublic@__nospam__yahoo.ie> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-china.com...
> I searched Amazon and it came out a list, could you please recommend one,

which one is of the best for a mid-level programmer? Thanks.

> 1) Design Patterns Java Workbook by Steven John Metsker
> 2) Applied Java Patterns by Stephen A. Stelting
> 3) Java Design Patterns: A Tutorial by James William Cooper
> 4) Patterns in Java: A Catalog of Reusable Design Patterns Illustrated

with UML, 2nd Edition, Volume 1 by Mark Grand
> 5) Java Design: Objects, UML, and Process by Kirk Knoernschild
> 6) Object-Oriented Software Engineering: Using UML, Patterns and Java,

Second Edition by Bernd Bruegge
> 7) Software Architecture Design Patterns in Java by Partha Kuchana

Two general techniques:
1. look in your library and assume they order the good books
2. look for a book that is less than 1 year old

brandon@hotmall.com

>> I searched Amazon and it came out a list, could you please recommend
>> one, which one is of the best for a mid-level programmer? Thanks.

>Why not start with the classic:
>
>Gamma, Helm, Johnson, Vlissides: Design Patterns. Elements of Reusable
>Object-Oriented Software.

Because it's very abstract and hard to understand, imho.

Chris Uppal

> > Why not start with the classic:
> >
> > Gamma, Helm, Johnson, Vlissides: Design Patterns. Elements of Reusable
> > Object-Oriented Software.

> Because it's very abstract and hard to understand, imho.

You surprise me.

-- chris

blmblm@myrealbox.com

In article <GqIqd.415475$wV.31870@attbi_s54>, Ann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"metfan" <qjzhupublic@__nospam__yahoo.ie> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed)-china.com...
>> I searched Amazon and it came out a list, could you please recommend one,

>which one is of the best for a mid-level programmer? Thanks.
>>
>> 1) Design Patterns Java Workbook by Steven John Metsker
>> 2) Applied Java Patterns by Stephen A. Stelting
>> 3) Java Design Patterns: A Tutorial by James William Cooper
>> 4) Patterns in Java: A Catalog of Reusable Design Patterns Illustrated

>with UML, 2nd Edition, Volume 1 by Mark Grand
>> 5) Java Design: Objects, UML, and Process by Kirk Knoernschild
>> 6) Object-Oriented Software Engineering: Using UML, Patterns and Java,

>Second Edition by Bernd Bruegge
>> 7) Software Architecture Design Patterns in Java by Partha Kuchana

>Two general techniques:
>1. look in your library and assume they order the good books
>2. look for a book that is less than 1 year old

Technique #2 seems a bit suspect, as it would seem to argue against,
for example, the three volumes (so far) of Knuth.

(Yes, there's a valid point to be made about choosing the newer
book when there are several choices that are otherwise equal. But
how often that's the case .... )

--
| B. L. Massingill
| ObDisclaimer: I don't speak for my employers; they return the favor.

Thomas Weidenfeller

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>Thomas Weidenfeller wrote:
>>
>>Gamma, Helm, Johnson, Vlissides: Design Patterns. Elements of Reusable
>>Object-Oriented Software.

> Because it's very abstract and hard to understand, imho.

Are you serious?

/Thomas

brandon@hotmall.com

>>>Gamma, Helm, Johnson, Vlissides: Design Patterns. Elements of
>>>Reusable Object-Oriented Software.

>> Because it's very abstract and hard to understand, imho.

>Are you serious?

Yes. It's way too abstract for me.

When reading this book, I was constantly thinking to myself, 'that sounds all
very fine, but what has this to do (or how can this ever be really useful) for
an average, real-life application ?..'

After reading several chapters, I got so frustated with it that I put the book
away.

I'm sorry, I know that 'everybody' thinks this is THE book on design patterns,
but it just doesn't work for me.

I really would like to get a grip on design patterns and I have now ordered
'Head First Design Patterns'. I hope this book will be more 'accessible' to me.

Rex Guo

I highly recommend 'Head First Design Patterns':

It is light-hearted, easy to read, uses Java for
the examples, and highly praised by the Gang of Four.

..rex