Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > CORBA or some other methodology?

CORBA or some other methodology?

Ted Holden

On 19 Nov 2004 03:25:39 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Dave Monroe)
wrote:

>Take a look at 'axis' from apache.org.
>
>Interoperability issues, these days, can often be addressed by web services.

Thanks!

One other question. XMLRPC and SOAP/AXIS have been suggested here as
alternatives to CORBA.

There is one other thing which CORBA does which I might or might not
need for this particular application but which is nice to have as a
general rule, and that is to maintain some notion of state in the
sense that an application which needs one generates an object of a
particular type for itself and holds onto it as long as it needs it
for whatever it is doing, which might require a number of method calls
for the object being used and not just one. State is maintained in
the objects data members while that is going on.

Does Axis have this same capability?

Also there is a requirement that a C++ server object operate with a
Java applet on the client. The statement I read on the Axis doc page:

"Numerous tests have been done to test the ability of Axis C++ client
side to interoperate with Axis Java server side and the results are
successful. Efforts are under way to make the Axis C++ server side to
inter operate with Axis Java client side."

indicates that I might end up using Axis to write a Java server object
wrapper for a C++ object and then have the client access the Java
server object.

All of that's a little less clean than Corba in a way but, if what I
read is correct it's probably still faster and might involve fewer
hassles with gateways and what not for an application which might be
used by the public at large. I get the impression that CORBA might be
better suited for corporate applications in which gateways and
firewalls and such are not so much of an issue.

Bruno Grieder

Ted Holden wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:28:40 +0100, Bruno Grieder
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Cannot be simmpler: www.xmlrpc.com
>>and for C/C++
>>http://xmlrpc-c.sourceforge.net/xmlr...c-howto-c.html
>>
>>Bruno

> Thanks!
>
> One other question. XMLRPC and SOAP/AXIS have been suggested here as
> alternatives to CORBA. There is one other thing which CORBA does
> which I might or might not need for this particular application but
> which is nice to have as a general rule, and that is to maintain some
> notion of state in the sense that an application which needs one
> generates an object of a particular type for itself and holds onto it
> as long as it needs it for whatever it is doing, which might require a
> number of method calls for the object being used and not just one.
> State is maintained in the objects data members while that is going
> on.
>
> Do xmlrpc and/or SOAP/Axis have this same capability? In particular,
> the documentation for xmlrpc appeared to be a little thin and it
> wasn't totally obvious.

That sounds like a stateful session bean! (too bad you app is written in
C++, not in Java).

I am not sure I understand your question: session management is a server
side issue more than anything else. Can your C++ app maintain a session?

Please note that - officially - web services do not maintain sessions
state. Now, in Java, there are ways around this using the session context.

b.

ted holden

Bruno Grieder wrote:

> I am not sure I understand your question: session management is a server
> side issue more than anything else. Can your C++ app maintain a session?
>
> Please note that - officially - web services do not maintain sessions
> state. Now, in Java, there are ways around this using the session context.
>
> b.

With Corba, a client app instantiates a copy of an object, accesses methods
of the object, possibly more than once, and then releases it. State can be
maintained by the class data of the object.

As I'm now hearing it, xmlrpc doesn't do that. The choice is between Corba,
and figuring a way to make the app run without server-side state
maintainance and I'll probably go with xmlrpc; it just requires a bit more
thought in designing the app. Xmlrpc appears to be better adapted to
distributed apps.

Should need arise, there is also now a sort of an updated version of the
same sort of thing as CORBA:

http://www.zeroc.com/ice.html

which might be useful for some future project, but not this one.

Again, thanks!

CORBA ORB for Linux and C#.NET CORBA ORB Tomek C++ 1 06-01-2006 03:26 AM
J-Integra Espresso (Java .NET CORBA interoperability) j-integra_support@intrinsyc.com ASP .Net 0 07-18-2005 07:33 PM
perl and corba? Donnie Fuqua Perl 0 01-17-2005 03:14 AM
Corba help for Java. Mr. x Java 1 10-08-2003 03:46 AM
java corba newbie pc_newbie Java 2 10-07-2003 03:08 AM

Advertisments