Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > What is package cache in a jar file

What is package cache in a jar file

HS1

Hello all
I know that a jar file is considered as zip file. I see a Jar file that has
a package cache. Could you please tell me the purpose of this "package" or
locate a tutorial about content of a jar file...
Many thanks
SH1

Thomas Weidenfeller

HS1 wrote:
> Hello all
> I know that a jar file is considered as zip file. I see a Jar file that has
> a package cache.

Do you mean the jar index? AFAIR that one is there since Java 1.3.

The Jar file format is documented in the JDK documentation. You did
download the JDK documentation when you fetched the JDK, didn't you?

/Thomas

Gerbrand van Dieijen

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 20:46:39 +1300, HS1 wrote:
>Hello all
>I know that a jar file is considered as zip file. I see a Jar file that has
>a package cache. Could you please tell me the purpose of this "package" or
>locate a tutorial about content of a jar file...

JBuilder (Maker/compiler) creates a folder 'package cache' when building
source files, I think it originates from there.
I don't know if other make utilities do that, but it's probably from
JBuilder.

--
Gerbrand van Dieijen

Ann

"HS1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hello all
> I know that a jar file is considered as zip file. I see a Jar file that

has
> a package cache. Could you please tell me the purpose of this "package" or
> locate a tutorial about content of a jar file...
> Many thanks
> SH1

What is a "package cache" ?

HS1