Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Where can I get a free JDBC-ODBC bridge?

Where can I get a free JDBC-ODBC bridge?

Dave Stallard

I need to connect to an MS Access database, from Java 1.4. Is there a
free product that will do this? I know there are a variety of for-pay ones.

Didn't Sun use to have such a bridge? I can't find it on their website.

Dave

Mark Thornton

Dave Stallard wrote:

> I need to connect to an MS Access database, from Java 1.4. Is there a
> free product that will do this? I know there are a variety of for-pay
> ones.
>
> Didn't Sun use to have such a bridge? I can't find it on their website.
>
> Dave

It is included in the standard release --- see the documentation which
comes with the JDK.

Mark Thornton

bilbo

It is included with any current Sun JDK installation. Here's a page on
Sun's website about how to use it.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/gu...ridge.doc.html
I've used it successfully to connect to an Access database.

By the way, I found this link in about 30 seconds on google by
searching for "sun jdbc-odbc bridge".

Dave Stallard

bilbo wrote:

> It is included with any current Sun JDK installation. Here's a page on
> Sun's website about how to use it.
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/gu...ridge.doc.html
> I've used it successfully to connect to an Access database.
>
> By the way, I found this link in about 30 seconds on google by
> searching for "sun jdbc-odbc bridge".

I'd seen that, but assumed it was outmoded because it 1.3 and I couldn't
get to a similar one from the 1.4 version doc. I found that now and
have gotten it set up, thanks.

But it seems mortally slow compared to JDataConnect. Has anybody else
experienced this problem?

Dave

Michael Borgwardt

Dave Stallard wrote:
> But it seems mortally slow compared to JDataConnect. Has anybody else
> experienced this problem?

It is not only slow but also quite restricted in other ways. For example,
it can't handle multiple connections in parallel.

As you have observed, there are several commercial JDB-ODBC bridges. Do you
really think there would be if the free one coming with the SDK were any good?