Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > GCJ speed? compile RCP apps?

GCJ speed? compile RCP apps?

Markus Dehmann

I often heard that gcj-compiled applications are not faster than
runtime-interpreted java. Is that still true, with the newest gcj
3.4.3? I wonder why I haven't found gcj-compiled apps on the market.
Is that because it's not worth the hassle?

If I want a professional-looking application, the optimal app I can
imagine would be a gcj-compiled rich client application (using
eclipse's Rich Client Platform (RCP) and swt). Is that possible? Or
are Eclipse rich client apps not gcj-compilable?

Thanks!
Markus

Jesper Nordenberg

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Markus Dehmann) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> I often heard that gcj-compiled applications are not faster than
> runtime-interpreted java. Is that still true, with the newest gcj
> 3.4.3? I wonder why I haven't found gcj-compiled apps on the market.
> Is that because it's not worth the hassle?

Often it isn't. There are also some problems with statically compiled
Java applications like dynamic class loading, optimized for a specific
CPU etc. For benchmarks check out: http://www.shudo.net/jit/perf/. As
you can see JDK 5 Server is faster than GCJ on most benchmarks.

There are also benchmarks comparing against JET (a commercial static
compiler): http://www.excelsior-usa.com/jetbench.html

> If I want a professional-looking application, the optimal app I can
> imagine would be a gcj-compiled rich client application (using
> eclipse's Rich Client Platform (RCP) and swt). Is that possible? Or
> are Eclipse rich client apps not gcj-compilable?

/Jesper Nordenberg

How to compile these code by gcj? Mike Mike Java 1 06-02-2004 04:15 PM
Problem Listing Java Source using GCJ and GDB John Java 0 04-01-2004 12:22 AM
GCJ Problem KevJohnP Java 0 10-31-2003 12:12 AM
GCJ has anybody use it. g Java 6 08-26-2003 01:06 PM

Advertisments