Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > looking for an applet

looking for an applet

ras

hi,

i'm looking for an applet that will let users add comments to a web
page. sort of like a guestbook but rather than take you to a different
page the user's comments would simply be appended to the bottom of the
web page.

thanks for any help,

rasiel

Andrew Thompson

On 7 Nov 2004 11:46:23 -0800, ras wrote:

> i'm looking for an applet that will let users add comments to a web
> page.

How much are you prepared to spend?

>..sort of like a guestbook but rather than take you to a different
> page the user's comments would simply be appended to the bottom of the
> web page.

An applet changing the *current* web-page?

I don't think you will find any applets like that.

The only way to do it, as far as I can see, is a Java applet
interacting with the page via JavaScript. Given the two depencencies
(Java/JS) that is less reliable for the users, so I doubt anybody has
considered it worthwhile to write such an applet.

--
Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 04:09:16 GMT, Andrew Thompson wrote:

>>..sort of like a guestbook but rather than take you to a different
>> page the user's comments would simply be appended to the bottom of the
>> web page.

> An applet changing the *current* web-page?
>
> I don't think you will find any applets like that.

I may have misread what you meant there.

The applet can post the data to the server and then refresh the
current page - the new information could then appear.

Alternatively, both the posts and the responses might be rendered
in an applet. In that case the page can be updated without specifically
being refreshed.

Neither of those approaches requires JavaScript, as my earlier
suggestion did.

--
Andrew Thompson