Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Releasing Precompiled JSP for Tomcat 4.1.x

Releasing Precompiled JSP for Tomcat 4.1.x

Steve

Is it possible to release out only precompiled classes of the JSP
pages and not the actual JSP and source code within it? (JSP contains
java source code which I would not like to be visible.)

John C. Bollinger

Steve wrote:

> Is it possible to release out only precompiled classes of the JSP
> pages and not the actual JSP and source code within it? (JSP contains
> java source code which I would not like to be visible.)

Yes it is. There are standalone JSP compilers available, for instance
jspc which comes with Tomcat. On the other hand, _good_ JSP code
doesn't contain much, if any, Java source code. You might save yourself
some trouble by moving your scriptlet code into beans and/or custom
tags. If you use JSP 2 then that can be facilitated by replacing some
other scriptlet code with JSP expression language expressions.

Also, you should keep in mind that compiling your JSPs to bytecode is
only the most rudimentary form of obfuscation. Most people who write
plain Java classes wouldn't consider it to be obfuscation at all. It is
pretty straightforward to decompile a Java class file. In your case the
curious third party decompiling your class would end up with source for
a servlet representation of it, not the JSP source, but that doesn't get
much in the way of seeing at least the gist of your Java.

John Bollinger