Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > JavaMail API

JavaMail API

TC

I have just started reading about this API and found something that
tells me this may not be what I need:

"...users interact with Mail User Agent (MUA) type programs to read and
write emails. Mail Transfer Agents (MTA) are used to handle the actual
delivery."

I am going to write some code where a process can trigger the need to
send an email. This will all be batch - no user interaction. Is it my
understanding that the JavaMail API is pretty much for user-interface?

If this is not what I need, any suggestions?

TIA!

Sudsy

TC wrote:
<snip>
> I am going to write some code where a process can trigger the need to
> send an email. This will all be batch - no user interaction. Is it my
> understanding that the JavaMail API is pretty much for user-interface?

<snip>

Not at all! JavaMail is commonly used to generate e-mails automatically,
order confirmations, etc. Viewing of mail is typically achieved using a
mail viewer app such as LookOut!, elm, etc. These apps can also create
and send mail. I've got a very simple class I can send you off-ng if
you'd like...

Eric Sosman

TC wrote:
> I have just started reading about this API and found something that
> tells me this may not be what I need:
>
> "...users interact with Mail User Agent (MUA) type programs to read and
> write emails. Mail Transfer Agents (MTA) are used to handle the actual
> delivery."
>
> I am going to write some code where a process can trigger the need to
> send an email. This will all be batch - no user interaction. Is it my
> understanding that the JavaMail API is pretty much for user-interface?
>
> If this is not what I need, any suggestions?

Just because it's called a "user agent" doesn't mean
the "user" must be a person who clicks mice, clacks keys,
or drags and drops dragon droppings. The "user" can just
as well be an autonomous program, and JavaMail is fine for
what you describe.

TC

Sudsy wrote:

> TC wrote:
> <snip>
> > I am going to write some code where a process can trigger the need
> > to send an email. This will all be batch - no user interaction.
> > Is it my understanding that the JavaMail API is pretty much for
> > user-interface?

> <snip>
>
> Not at all! JavaMail is commonly used to generate e-mails
> automatically, order confirmations, etc. Viewing of mail is typically
> achieved using a mail viewer app such as LookOut!, elm, etc. These
> apps can also create and send mail. I've got a very simple class I
> can send you off-ng if you'd like...

Thanks! I would like to see the class.

TC

TC wrote:

> Sudsy wrote:
>
> > TC wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > I am going to write some code where a process can trigger the need
> > > to send an email. This will all be batch - no user interaction.
> > > Is it my understanding that the JavaMail API is pretty much for
> > > user-interface?

> > <snip>
> >
> > Not at all! JavaMail is commonly used to generate e-mails
> > automatically, order confirmations, etc. Viewing of mail is
> > typically achieved using a mail viewer app such as LookOut!, elm,
> > etc. These apps can also create and send mail. I've got a very
> > simple class I can send you off-ng if you'd like...

> Thanks! I would like to see the class.

metrotex30 at yahoo dot com

Sudsy

TC wrote:
<snip>

> Thanks! I would like to see the class.

So send me an e-mail so I can send it in the reply.