Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Release version 30 times slower than debug version

Release version 30 times slower than debug version

croeltgen

I have a developped an applet in Visual J++ 6.0 and I encounter the
situation that the when it runs in debug mode everything is fine, but
when I run in release mode, the execution is 30 (thirty!) times
slower. I didnt encounter this problem before and I use J++ since 2
years already. Apart from a corrupted J++ I cannot image what the
reason could be.
Any hints?
Thank you,
Claude

Andrew Thompson

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:47:57 +0200, croeltgen wrote:

> I have a developped an applet in Visual J++ 6.0 and I encounter the
> situation that the when it runs in debug mode everything is fine, but
> when I run in release mode, the execution is 30 (thirty!) times
> slower. I didnt encounter this problem before and I use J++ since 2
> years already. Apart from a corrupted J++ I cannot image what the
> reason could be.

AFAIU, there are two distinct aspects to this problem.
1. 'slow'
2. 'Visual J++'

If you wish to continue using a tool not especially well
suited to writing Java (2.) your best bet is to take it
to the manufacturer (of the tool) or a group discussing same.

If you wish to receive help here, drag your source, (kicking
and screaming, if necessary) out of your tool and compile/run
it from the command line. In the event the 30x difference
remains, come back here with an SSCCE* for further advice.

* <http://www.physci.org/codes/sscce.jsp>

HTH

--
Andrew Thompson