Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Building Java Apps for Mobile Phones

Building Java Apps for Mobile Phones

Lee

I would like to build java apps for mobile phones. Where's some good places
online to start? Is there a list anywhere that states which phones are java
compatible - and indeed allow you to install custom java apps on them?
Thanks

Yogo

http://java.sun.com/j2me/

Tim Ward

"Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iO9ed.135307$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...

> I would like to build java apps for mobile phones. Where's some good

places
> online to start? Is there a list anywhere that states which phones are

java
> compatible - and indeed allow you to install custom java apps on them?

See here for some ideas for applications:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10...le_java_peril/

--
Tim Ward

Lee

If I bought the correct lead (either USB or serial) for my phone and
connected the phone to my PC how easy would it be to use java to access the
functions of the phone via the lead? Ideally I would like to send SMS
messages from my PC.

Lee

"Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WHaed.135730$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> If I bought the correct lead (either USB or serial) for my phone and
> connected the phone to my PC how easy would it be to use java to access

the
> functions of the phone via the lead? Ideally I would like to send SMS
> messages from my PC.

anyone??

btw, cheers for the above advice

Tim Ward

"Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WHaed.135730$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> If I bought the correct lead (either USB or serial) for my phone and
> connected the phone to my PC how easy would it be to use java to access

the
> functions of the phone via the lead? Ideally I would like to send SMS
> messages from my PC.

(1) Find the documentation for your phone.
(2) Read it.
(3) Acquire any necessary driver software.
(4) Write any necessary interface code to connect the driver to Java in a
real language.

.... of which (1) is likely to be the most difficult step. I would expect
there to be a wide variety of mechanisms by now - last time I did this sort
of thing some phones implemented an AT-style modem interface, with extended
AT commands to send SMSs; this would typically require no low-level software
on the PC beyond what you need to talk to the serial port, all the AT
protocol handling can be done in Java.

--
Tim Ward