Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > support for newer classes in older JRE's

Reply
Thread Tools

support for newer classes in older JRE's

 
 
kevin.osborne@gmail.squirrel.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
I need to to support classes that are present in the runtime for 1.5 in
1.3/1.4.

I remember being able to this a few years back, when you could get
crimson.jar & jaxp.jar to redistribute to clients running 1.3 when the
classes in crimson/jaxp were part of rt.jar in 1.4

specifically I wish to code to JCE classes under javax.crypto in
1.4/1.5 and be able to run that code under 1.3/1.4.

The solution would be to have redistributable jar files from sun that
contain the delta between 1.3 -> 1.4 -> 1.5 that I can supply to
clients (on CD, so the size of these deltas is unimportant, and I can
require the jars to be on the classpath)

Do sun/java support this? I presume it isn't legal for me to unpack
rt.jar etc for 1.5, grab the class files I need, re-jar them seperately
and redistribute them with my commercial product.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Oscar kind
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I need to to support classes that are present in the runtime for 1.5 in
> 1.3/1.4.


This is not a problem, as long as you:
- Restrict yourself to libraries that are available as 1.3/1.4 libraries
- Only use classes/methods from the JDK that were present in 1.3/1.4
- Use the compiler argument "-source 1.3" or "-source 1.4" while
compiling.


> I remember being able to this a few years back, when you could get
> crimson.jar & jaxp.jar to redistribute to clients running 1.3 when the
> classes in crimson/jaxp were part of rt.jar in 1.4


You mean they were available separately? Then yes, that's very well
possible.


> specifically I wish to code to JCE classes under javax.crypto in
> 1.4/1.5 and be able to run that code under 1.3/1.4.


It's available as a separate download for 1.4:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html
(at the bottom of the page)

I don't know if it is available for 1.3, but I think it isn't.


> The solution would be to have redistributable jar files from sun that
> contain the delta between 1.3 -> 1.4 -> 1.5 that I can supply to
> clients (on CD, so the size of these deltas is unimportant, and I can
> require the jars to be on the classpath)


You mean you want to have the 1.5 features available under 1.3/1.4? That's
a maintenance nightmare, IF it is legal to start with (it probrably]
isn't).

It's much easier to upgrade: no maintenance hassles, and no legal
implications. Also, upgrading is reasonable easy to manage in terms of
time and money. Retrofitting is certainly not, unless you have experience
with it (which you don't, because then you wouldn't need to ask).
BTW, this is something to tell a manager.


> Do sun/java support this? I presume it isn't legal for me to unpack
> rt.jar etc for 1.5, grab the class files I need, re-jar them seperately
> and redistribute them with my commercial product.


In both cases I think the answer is no, but I haven't specifically checked
it. I suggest you work around it, or use the JCE that's downloadable for
1.4. After all, 1.4 is out for about two and a half years; it's not
unreasonable not to support 1.3.


--
Oscar Kind http://home.hccnet.nl/okind/
Software Developer for contact information, see website

PGP Key fingerprint: 91F3 6C72 F465 5E98 C246 61D9 2C32 8E24 097B B4E2
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
While you are at it, how about putting that cadillac air
conditioning in my ford pickup truck.


"(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I need to to support classes that are present in the runtime for 1.5 in
> 1.3/1.4.
>
> I remember being able to this a few years back, when you could get
> crimson.jar & jaxp.jar to redistribute to clients running 1.3 when the
> classes in crimson/jaxp were part of rt.jar in 1.4
>
> specifically I wish to code to JCE classes under javax.crypto in
> 1.4/1.5 and be able to run that code under 1.3/1.4.
>
> The solution would be to have redistributable jar files from sun that
> contain the delta between 1.3 -> 1.4 -> 1.5 that I can supply to
> clients (on CD, so the size of these deltas is unimportant, and I can
> require the jars to be on the classpath)
>
> Do sun/java support this? I presume it isn't legal for me to unpack
> rt.jar etc for 1.5, grab the class files I need, re-jar them seperately
> and redistribute them with my commercial product.
> Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canon choice - older A620 or newer A540? bugbear Digital Photography 2 11-15-2006 08:44 PM
is MS newer <iostream> is slower than older <iostream.h>? ai@work C++ 9 12-16-2004 08:21 PM
Older and newer syntax Firewall PI32. AM Cisco 2 12-06-2004 05:57 PM
Older laptops, newer wireless NICs, h/w, s/w, etc David Computer Support 0 09-23-2003 06:43 PM
Even older fart, even newer newbie Stan Goodman Java 11 07-04-2003 07:32 AM



Advertisments