Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > How can we beat team system?

How can we beat team system?

Peter

Hi all
The visual studio 2005 will build in a cvs called "team system".
What are the features we need to have to beat it?

thanks
from Peter ((E-Mail Removed))

Andrew Thompson

On 16 Oct 2004 07:19:06 -0700, Peter wrote:

> The visual studio 2005 will build in a cvs called "team system".
> What are the features we need to have to beat it?

(shrugs) A big stick? Not using it?
Does this have anything to do with Java?

--
Andrew Thompson

Peter

Andrew Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<1qu9397fvxn3s$(E-Mail Removed)> ...
> On 16 Oct 2004 07:19:06 -0700, Peter wrote:
>
> > The visual studio 2005 will build in a cvs called "team system".
> > What are the features we need to have to beat it?

> (shrugs) A big stick? Not using it?
> Does this have anything to do with Java?

yes, seem nobody is going to use java to beat it

Thomas Schodt

Peter wrote:

> The visual studio 2005 will build in a cvs called "team system".
> What are the features we need to have to beat it?

Maybe your question would have been more relevant in c.l.j.softwaretools
or maybe I do not understand the question.

What's to beat?

I know the NetBeans IDE (free) integrates with the most common source
control systems, I believe JBuilder (Borland) does the same.
I suspect Eclipse also does.
Etc. ad nauseam.

What specific features of studio 2005 are not already present in the
most common Java IDEs?

Scott Ellsworth

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Peter) wrote:

> Andrew Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<1qu9397fvxn3s$(E-Mail Removed)> ...
> > On 16 Oct 2004 07:19:06 -0700, Peter wrote:
> >
> > > The visual studio 2005 will build in a cvs called "team system".
> > > What are the features we need to have to beat it?

> > (shrugs) A big stick? Not using it?
> > Does this have anything to do with Java?

> yes, seem nobody is going to use java to beat it

I prefer to use a stick or sock filled with oranges to beat things.
Beating things with Java gets coffee all over.

Seriously, though, your question is ill phrased.

When you say "we need to have to to beat it", what do you mean by "beat
it", and who is "we". I am not being facetious - the intended audience
and the intended result changes what you need to do.

If "we" consists of java utility vendors, many of them already have
created features to beat this. I suspect that JetBrains, for one,
considers their local history feature more effective than what I have
heard is coming.

If "we" is the user community, well, we need to vote with our feet. If
our tools do not have an equivalent feature, and we think it will
matter, then tell the vendors. Demand the goodies that will help you
the best. Also consider what you really need - a local subversion
repository beats damn near every local history system I have seen, as
long as I am only working locally. Local history features get really
useful, though, if I am working out of a remote repository.

Scott