Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Tomcat not starting

Tomcat not starting

Manish Hatwalne

I am trying to start Tomcat 4.1 on Windows 2000 for quite some time, but it
fails immediately after startup, and I get this error -

D:\Tomcat 4.1\bin>startup
Using CATALINA_BASE: D:\Tomcat 4.1
Using CATALINA_HOME: D:\Tomcat 4.1
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: D:\Tomcat 4.1\temp
Using JAVA_HOME: C:\j2sdk1.4.0_01
Oct 12, 2004 2:34:15 PM org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry loadRegistry
INFO: Loading registry information
Oct 12, 2004 2:34:15 PM org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry getRegistry
INFO: Creating new Registry instance
Oct 12, 2004 2:34:17 PM org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry getServer
INFO: Creating MBeanServer
Oct 12, 2004 2:34:22 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol init
INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 8080
Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.1.18
Exception during startup processing
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
at
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Native MethodAccessorImpl.java:39
)
at
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(De legatingMethodAccessorImpl
..java:25)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstr ap.java:203)
Caused by: java.lang.InternalError: internal error: SHA-1 not available.
at sun.security.provider.SecureRandom.init(SecureRand om.java:86)
at sun.security.provider.SecureRandom.<init>(SecureRa ndom.java:65)
at java.security.SecureRandom.<init>(SecureRandom.jav a:131)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInsta nce0(Native Method)
at
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInsta nce(NativeConstructorAcces
sorImpl.java:
39)
at
sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newI nstance(DelegatingConstruc
torAccessorIm
pl.java:27)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Construc tor.java:274)
at org.apache.catalina.session.ManagerBase.getRandom( ManagerBase.java:477)
at
org.apache.catalina.session.ManagerBase.generateSe ssionId(ManagerBase.java:6
75)
at
org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager.start( StandardManager.java:620)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(Sta ndardContext.java:3570)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(Conta inerBase.java:118
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(Standa rdHost.java:73
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(Conta inerBase.java:118
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(Stan dardEngine.java:347)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(Sta ndardService.java:497)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(Stan dardServer.java:2189)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalin a.java:512)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catal ina.java:400)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catal ina.java:180)
.... 5 more
D:\Tomcat 4.1\bin>

How do I fix this? I believe the Java home is correct, however I do have few
more JVMs (1.3 and 1.2) on my machine and I do need them all. What do I do
now????

TIA,
- Manish

Sudsy

Manish Hatwalne wrote:
<snip>
> Caused by: java.lang.InternalError: internal error: SHA-1 not available.

<snip>

There's the nub of the problem. SHA-1 is Secure Hash Algorithm. I don't
know where in the world you're located but there are still some export
restrictions on cryptography elements. If you picked up the version of
the JDK/JRE designed for export then it might not include this crpyto
algorithm.
Depending on your situation and JDK/JRE version, you might have to
download the JCE (Java Cryptography Extension).

Manish Hatwalne

"Sudsy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Manish Hatwalne wrote:
> <snip>
> > Caused by: java.lang.InternalError: internal error: SHA-1 not available.

> <snip>
>
> There's the nub of the problem. SHA-1 is Secure Hash Algorithm. I don't
> know where in the world you're located but there are still some export
> restrictions on cryptography elements. If you picked up the version of
> the JDK/JRE designed for export then it might not include this crpyto
> algorithm.
> Depending on your situation and JDK/JRE version, you might have to
> download the JCE (Java Cryptography Extension).

I am located in India and My JDK is j2sdk1.4.0_01 which is rather old.

Due to bandwidth restrictions, I can't upgrade to JDK 1.4.2 or later
immediately.
From where can I load this JCE and where should I copy it? (is it
JAVA_HOME/jre/lib ?)

TIA,
- Manish

Sudsy

Manish Hatwalne wrote:
<snip>
> I am located in India and My JDK is j2sdk1.4.0_01 which is rather old.
>
> Due to bandwidth restrictions, I can't upgrade to JDK 1.4.2 or later
> immediately.
> From where can I load this JCE and where should I copy it? (is it
> JAVA_HOME/jre/lib ?)

Thought so. Plus you no doubt downloaded the export version, without
crypto. You can download JCE from <http://java.sun.com> but I don't
know that it will work with 1.4.
You might just have to bite the bullet and download a new, complete
version.

Manish Hatwalne

> I am located in India and My JDK is j2sdk1.4.0_01 which is rather old.
>
> Due to bandwidth restrictions, I can't upgrade to JDK 1.4.2 or later
> immediately.
> From where can I load this JCE and where should I copy it? (is it
> JAVA_HOME/jre/lib ?)

OK. I found required policy jar files on Sun's ste, but now they have these
JCE policy files only for JDK 1.4.2 and not for JDK 1.4.0
Where can I get this???

- Manish

Nathan Zumwalt

It looks like Tomcat is looking for some encryption libraries that
aren't available. Did you get the "international" version of the JDK?
I don't think it includes the Java Cryptography Excetions (JCE)...
try installing the JCE:

http://java.sun.com/products/jce/

//Nathan

"Manish Hatwalne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> [...]
> at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(Conta inerBase.java:118
> at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(Standa rdHost.java:73
> at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(Conta inerBase.java:118
> at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(Stan dardEngine.java:347)
> at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(Sta ndardService.java:497)
> at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(Stan dardServer.java:2189)
> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalin a.java:512)
> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catal ina.java:400)
> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catal ina.java:180)
> ... 5 more
> D:\Tomcat 4.1\bin>
>
> How do I fix this? I believe the Java home is correct, however I do have few
> more JVMs (1.3 and 1.2) on my machine and I do need them all. What do I do

Madhur Ahuja

Manish Hatwalne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Sudsy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Manish Hatwalne wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> Caused by: java.lang.InternalError: internal error: SHA-1 not
>>> available. <snip>

>> There's the nub of the problem. SHA-1 is Secure Hash Algorithm. I
>> don't know where in the world you're located but there are still
>> some export restrictions on cryptography elements. If you picked up
>> the version of the JDK/JRE designed for export then it might not
>> include this crpyto algorithm.
>> Depending on your situation and JDK/JRE version, you might have to
>> download the JCE (Java Cryptography Extension).

> I am located in India and My JDK is j2sdk1.4.0_01 which is rather old.
>
> Due to bandwidth restrictions, I can't upgrade to JDK 1.4.2 or later
> immediately.
> From where can I load this JCE and where should I copy it? (is it
> JAVA_HOME/jre/lib ?)

Hello Manish

You can download the newer Tomcat version 5.0.28. This version is working
fine with my j2sdk1.4. Moreover, the download is just about 5 mb which is
much smaller then jdk.

--

Homepage
http://madhur.netfirms.com

Manish Hatwalne

> Hello Manish
>
> You can download the newer Tomcat version 5.0.28. This version is working
> fine with my j2sdk1.4. Moreover, the download is just about 5 mb which is
> much smaller then jdk.

You sure it's about 5 MB?
I see it as 12.4 MB on the site.

http://apache.gr-linux.net/jakarta/t...5/v5.0.28/bin/

I was hoping to avoid this download, but it seems inevitable.
Unfortunately, these days Computer magazines are not distributing JDK and
Tomcat, don't know why???
Not everybody has fast connection!

- Manish

Madhur Ahuja

Manish Hatwalne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hello Manish
>>
>> You can download the newer Tomcat version 5.0.28. This version is
>> working fine with my j2sdk1.4. Moreover, the download is just about
>> 5 mb which is much smaller then jdk.
>>

> You sure it's about 5 MB?
> I see it as 12.4 MB on the site.
>
> http://apache.gr-linux.net/jakarta/t...5/v5.0.28/bin/

OOps! Sorry, you are correct. It is indeed 12.4 MB.

> I was hoping to avoid this download, but it seems inevitable.
> Unfortunately, these days Computer magazines are not distributing JDK
> and Tomcat, don't know why???
> Not everybody has fast connection!

Look up June 04 issue of Developer IQ, they have all sorts of tools from
apache such as Ant etc.... I am sure it must be carrying Tomcat.

--

Homepage
http://madhur.netfirms.com