Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > What is the difference between JMS, SOAP and RMI ?

What is the difference between JMS, SOAP and RMI ?

Anan H. Samiti

I am not sure about the differences between the three java message protocols mentioned in the subject.
Ok, they are different protocols but what are the (dis)advantages of each (particularly betwen JMS and RMI)?

Anan

Rick Huby

I have no idea about JMS to be honest but as I understand it, SOAP is
basically XML based messages sent over the HTTP protocol (ie like
submitting form data in a web page). This means that messages can be
'decoded' on the other side by any other language, such as PHP, ASP or
whatever as they are in a format those languages understand.

RMI is about connecting directly up to another application, system or
whatever directly, using PORTs and IP addresses. The major
disadvantage that I know of for this kind of thing is that you can
only communicate with other applications written in Java (well, unless
you want to get involved in CORBA).

I am far from an authority on this subject however so you might be
best getting some advice from elsewhere...

Hope my small insight helped though...

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Anan H. Samiti) wrote in message news:<cjuqk3$e06$04$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com>...
> I am not sure about the differences between the three java message protocols mentioned in the subject.
> Ok, they are different protocols but what are the (dis)advantages of each (particularly betwen JMS and RMI)?
>
> Anan

Why does java.rmi.Naming not implement interface java.rmi.Registry? Jan Schulze Java 1 03-26-2005 07:45 AM
RMI Vs RMI over IIOP JScoobyCed Java 1 01-28-2005 09:54 AM
RMI, JINI or RMI/IIOP Buu Nguyen Java 1 08-25-2004 11:28 AM