Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Empty stack trace/method call from nowhere?

Empty stack trace/method call from nowhere?

Michael Borgwardt

I sometimes use constructs like this:
new Exception().printStackTrace(System.out);
for debugging, in order to find out where a problematic call came from.

Now I've encountered a case where it seems the call came from nowhere:
the stack trace contains only the method with the debug output itself.
And this is consistent with what eclipse tells me about the usage of
the method: it's used in only one place where it should be followed
immediately by another debug message, but in the case I'm looking at,
that is missing.

Admittedly, this *is* an applet running in the Microsoft VM, but I find
it hard to believe that even the Microsoft VM generates calls from
nowhere.

Does this sound like a known issue? Under what circumstances can an
Exception's stack trace contain only the method in which it's created?

Michael Borgwardt

I found the culprit: the applet method in question was being called
from JavaScript via LiveConnect.

Andrew Thompson

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:19:14 +0200, Michael Borgwardt wrote:

> I found the culprit: the applet method in question was being called
> from JavaScript via LiveConnect.

Are you saying the MSVM was the only VM that responds
to LiveConnect? (I have looked at various ways to connect
Java and JS before, but never found a viable & robust one.)

--
Andrew Thompson

Michael Borgwardt

Andrew Thompson wrote:
>>I found the culprit: the applet method in question was being called
>>from JavaScript via LiveConnect.

> Are you saying the MSVM was the only VM that responds
> to LiveConnect?

No, only that it is the configuration I am using.

>(I have looked at various ways to connect
> Java and JS before, but never found a viable & robust one.)

Well, it seems to work fine here, except that the stack traces
contain no explicit indication when a call came via LiveConnect.

There are nasty problems in other areas, though.