Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > laundry room help!

laundry room help!

shoe

I like to create a booking system on the
web for people to make reservation in the
laundry room.

This is my ide. A webserver with cgi send pages to the
klient and the klient kan then search and make booking.

The server side CGI could talk to a Java program and
create/search and place booking in the XML database.

Is this a good ide?

Andrew Thompson

On 28 Sep 2004 11:59:26 -0700, shoe wrote:

> I like to create a booking system on the
> web for people to make reservation in the
> laundry room.

Won't the 'kiosk style' monitor fail in all that steam?
Why not use a blackboard and a piece of chalk?

--
Andrew Thompson

Ann

"shoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I like to create a booking system on the
> web for people to make reservation in the
> laundry room.
>
> This is my ide. A webserver with cgi send pages to the
> klient and the klient kan then search and make booking.
>
> The server side CGI could talk to a Java program and
> create/search and place booking in the XML database.
>
> Is this a good ide?

Would someone just steal your computer
out of the laundry room late at night?

NOSPAM

not good enough, you probably need to write an algorithm to control an X10
device to control the door lock/washing machine. The application then
checks the userid/password to make sure that is the right person. otherwise,
anyone can go into your laundry room. maybe you want to implement the eye
or fingerprint scanning system too.

"shoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I like to create a booking system on the
> web for people to make reservation in the
> laundry room.
>
> This is my ide. A webserver with cgi send pages to the
> klient and the klient kan then search and make booking.
>
> The server side CGI could talk to a Java program and
> create/search and place booking in the XML database.
>
> Is this a good ide?

Mickey Segal

"shoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I like to create a booking system on the
> web for people to make reservation in the
> laundry room.

Is this something you really want to do, or an exercise for a computer
science classes?

shoe

"Mickey Segal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cjcjci$791$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "shoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> >I like to create a booking system on the
> > web for people to make reservation in the
> > laundry room.

> Is this something you really want to do, or an exercise for a computer
> science classes?

OK i got busted! This is a school thing..eheh.
But I still need some advice in the right direction.
What if there are 50 people making bookings at the same time?
Is the XML database good. we are not alowed to use SQL.

thanks!

Andrew Thompson

On 29 Sep 2004 02:05:18 -0700, shoe wrote:

> OK i got busted! This is a school thing..eheh.

Feel frre to ask it on the appropriate group, described here..

A quick note for future referecne..

> Is this a good ide?

The word you are after is spelt 'idea', note the 'a'.
The letters 'ide' are too easy to mistake with IDE
(integrated development environment).

Further..

> This is my ide. A webserver with cgi ..

Please be precise in technical forums, acronyms are
uppercase -> CGI

>...send pages to the
> klient and the klient kan then search and make booking.

Do the clients have web access? If so, I do not understand how
'CGI' fits the picture, the user's get HTML forms and confirmations,
the rest is done on the server.

--
Andrew Thompson

Gordon Beaton

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:06:21 GMT, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> The word you are after is spelt 'idea', note the 'a'.

So Andrew, how's your Swedish spelling?

/gordon

Andrew Thompson

On 29 Sep 2004 14:50:23 +0200, Gordon Beaton wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:06:21 GMT, Andrew Thompson wrote:

(re 'ide')
>> The word you are after is spelt 'idea', note the 'a'.

> So Andrew, how's your Swedish spelling?

Terrible. ..but I should point out I usually ignore spelling
mistakes unless I feel it might lead to confusion.

How's your Eclipse/Netbeans/..?

--
Andrew Thompson

Gordon Beaton

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:24:48 GMT, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> How's your Eclipse/Netbeans/..?

Not nearly as good as my Swedish!

/gordon (emacs user)