Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > System.out.flush()

System.out.flush()

Batman4050

Does the line System.out.flush(); do anything?

I have added it to many of my programs, and I can't find any
difference with using it?

Does anyone know it's intended use, and why it's needed?

Thank you very much.

Chris Smith

Batman4050 wrote:
> Does the line System.out.flush(); do anything?

Of course. It causes everything that's been written to System.out to be
completely written. System.out can do some internal buffering of data,
so you aren't guaranteed that something written to the stream will
appear immediately in the standard output of the process... unless you
call flush().

However, System.out is generally set up with auto-flush, so that you
only need to worry about this if you write something less than complete
lines at a time.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation