Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > AudioStream for realaudio and windows media?

AudioStream for realaudio and windows media?

Chris Gokey

Are there any java libraries out there capable of
reading windows media and real audio streams? I have
a linksys wireless internet radio (linksys WML11B) that
only plays MP3 internet urls. I'd like to transcode real audio
and windows media streams into MP3 on the fly for playback on my linksys
device.

I've experimented with mplayer, lame, and xine under linux,
all native applications -- but was hoping to put together
something more platform independent. I've looked at JMF,
unless I'm reading it incorrectly, it doesn't look like they
support these formats yet.

Thanks,
Chris

Lee

Have a look at Helix for RealPlayer. You'll find that it's a load of
bullshit. Real will not give away their encodings. Same with Windows I
think. There's a surprise.

Closed source. Shite.

Stick with mpeg if I was you.

"Chris Gokey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsF4_c.29132$_g7.9654@attbi_s52...
> Are there any java libraries out there capable of
> reading windows media and real audio streams? I have
> a linksys wireless internet radio (linksys WML11B) that
> only plays MP3 internet urls. I'd like to transcode real audio
> and windows media streams into MP3 on the fly for playback on my linksys
> device.
>
> I've experimented with mplayer, lame, and xine under linux,
> all native applications -- but was hoping to put together
> something more platform independent. I've looked at JMF,
> unless I'm reading it incorrectly, it doesn't look like they
> support these formats yet.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Christopher Gokey

In case anyone is interested, I ended up putting together a small Java
application in Linux that does the conversion from Windows Media and Real
Audio on the fly to MP3 using native Linux applications (lame, mplayer, and
fifos). This is a definite hack. But, this hack does work for my case and
I can now use a Linksys WML11B wireless music device to read stream besides
MP3.

I've only tested this under Linux so far. Let me know if anyone finds this
useful. Beside Linksys, it may also work with other devices that can only
read MP3 streams (netgear, homepod, d-link, aireo, soundblaster, etc.); so
if anyone has one, I'd be interested in your results.

This is more of a hack, I'd much rather prefer to a pure java solution to
this, so if anyone runs across or knows of a Java implementation similar to
mplayer and lame, I'd like to give it a try and replace these native calls.

See these links for more info and where to grab the source:
README
http://home.comcast.net/~cgokey/java/mp3/README.txt

Application
http://home.comcast.net/~cgokey/java/mp3/mp3.tar.gz