Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > enterprise software application definition

enterprise software application definition

Matt

I want to know the definition of enterprise software application?? For
example, J2EE applications, is it just a software for enterprise use?
I am little bit confused how it differ from other commerical software
applications.

please advise. thanks!!

Oscar kind

Matt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I want to know the definition of enterprise software application?? For
> example, J2EE applications, is it just a software for enterprise use?
> I am little bit confused how it differ from other commerical software
> applications.

Enterprise software is, AFAIK, indeed software used in enterprises.
However, if with "enterprise" you refer to the first "E" in J2EE, it's a
whole different ball game.

J2EE applications are applications run with a J2EE application server.
These applications are used for server-based applications, as commonly
found in enterprises (as it greatly simplified upgrades). Also, these
applications make it easier to do business over the internet (all a
customer needs is a browser).

Examples of J2EE applications are:
- Web applications (optionally packaged in a .war file)
- EJB applications (usefull for a SOAP server)
- Enterprise applications (note the absence of "software")
These contain one or more web and/or ejb applications, and optionally
client applications that directly call the EJB's. They're packages in
.ear files.

--
Oscar Kind http://home.hccnet.nl/okind/