Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > java gui and windows api

java gui and windows api

yogesh

Does "java apis for gui development(swing and awt)" for Windows use
the underlying windows api at its core ?
As I read it that
a)it is completely impossible to avoid the "standard windows look and
feel" when using the windows api.
b)it is also difficult on Windows to develop a rich gui program
without using the Windows api.
Java has a very rich set of gui elements and that also are totally
different from windows look and feel.

regards,
Yogesh P Joshi

Paul Lutus

yogesh wrote:

> Does "java apis for gui development(swing and awt)" for Windows use
> the underlying windows api at its core ?

It uses Windows native graphics functions, but it doesn't use the Windows
L&F directly.

> As I read it that
> a)it is completely impossible to avoid the "standard windows look and
> feel" when using the windows api.

Swing offers several L&F options other than one that looks like Windows.
Nearly all my programs use Swing, and none of them look very much like
Windows programs.

> b)it is also difficult on Windows to develop a rich gui program
> without using the Windows api.
> Java has a very rich set of gui elements and that also are totally
> different from windows look and feel.

What was your question again?

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

Andrew Thompson

On 25 Aug 2004 11:13:40 -0700, yogesh wrote:

> Does "java apis for gui development(swing and awt)"

Please see my answer on c.l.j.help..

And please refrain from multi-posting in future..
<http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#xpost>

--
Andrew Thompson