Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Strange StringIndexOutOfBoundsException

Strange StringIndexOutOfBoundsException

Andrew Thompson

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:40:14 -0700, Paul Lutus wrote:

>> Also, it seems a better group for the moment might be..
>> <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljh>

,,
> The site being promoted above as a "better group" is in fact not part of
> Usenet at all.

The site listed above is my site, it merely contains
further information on the group I am 'promoting',
< comp.lang.java.help >
...which BTW, is one that we both post to, (and
very much part of Usenet)..

>..It may have better, more to-the-point content (as seems tto
> be so), But people should be aware that it also serves someone's commercial
> interest, which Usenet cannot do.

I was not proposing the OP post messages to my site.
I neither run, nor am interested in running, forums,

Usenet is just fine, and I discourage people from posting
through 'web-based interfaces' to Usenet, as these sites
generally do not give posters adequate information of the
chaotic, 'rough and tumble' nature of Usenet (nor point
out that Usenet is not a help-desk)

My only point, in that post, is that questions from
new Java programmers are better dealt with on the
*Usenet* group specifically intended for them.

I do not quite understand where you are coming
from Paul, did I/we get wires crossed somehow?

--
Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:07:28 +0100, Chris Uppal wrote:
> Paul Lutus wrote:
>> Andrew Thompson wrote:
>>> Also, it seems a better group for the moment might be..
>>> <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljh>
>>> [ the people ther are *much* nicer, trust me.. ]

> [...]
>> The site being promoted above as a "better group" is in fact not part of
>> Usenet at all. [...]

> It seems to me that Paul has a good point here. If your (Andrew's) aim is to
> direct people to comp.lang.java.help, then wouldn't a link like
> news:comp.lang.java.help (or whatever the URL syntax is) be better ?

Feel free to do that Chris.

I, OTOH, will continue to post as I did, because I have
already considered this matter and come up with what I
feel is the best (all round, balanced) approach.

The page lists the major Java groups and gives
a sentence or two that provides further description
of each. Then it links to the easiest place to
browse/search those groups.

--
Andrew Thompson

Chris Uppal

Andrew,

> > It seems to me that Paul has a good point here. If your (Andrew's) aim
> > is to direct people to comp.lang.java.help, then wouldn't a link like
> > news:comp.lang.java.help (or whatever the URL syntax is) be better ?

> Feel free to do that Chris.
>
> I, OTOH, will continue to post as I did, because I have
> already considered this matter [...]

Fair enough. 'Twas only a suggestion.

(And, to be honest, an attempt to bring out what I saw as a valuable point in a
post that seemed almost designed to be misunderstood.)

-- chris

Paul Lutus

Andrew Thompson wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:40:14 -0700, Paul Lutus wrote:
>
>>> Also, it seems a better group for the moment might be..
>>> <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljh>

> ,,
>> The site being promoted above as a "better group" is in fact not part of
>> Usenet at all.

> The site listed above is my site, it merely contains
> further information on the group I am 'promoting',
> < comp.lang.java.help >
> ..which BTW, is one that we both post to, (and
> very much part of Usenet)..

You very clearly describe your *Web* *site*, not comp.java.lang.help, as a
*group*. See above and below.

>>..It may have better, more to-the-point content (as seems tto
>> be so), But people should be aware that it also serves someone's
>> commercial interest, which Usenet cannot do.

> I was not proposing the OP post messages to my site.
> I neither run, nor am interested in running, forums,

In that case, what does this mean:

>> Also, it seems a better group for the moment might be..
>> <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljh>
>> [¬*¬*the¬*people¬*ther¬*are¬*much¬*nicer,¬*trust¬*me..¬*¬*¬*¬*]

You describe it as a "group", and infer that it is a group like this one,
but nicer. What conclusion is a newbie meant to draw?.

The remedy is to describe your site as ... hmmm ... a Web site? Not a group,
and without any inference of comparability to Usenet?

> Usenet is just fine, and I discourage people from posting
> through 'web-based interfaces' to Usenet, as these sites
> generally do not give posters adequate information of the
> chaotic, 'rough and tumble' nature of Usenet (nor point
> out that Usenet is not a help-desk)

Then in the future, you won't want to be describing your site as a "group"
and comparing your Web site to Usenet groups as though there is a
functional basis for comparison. Right?

> My only point, in that post, is that questions from
> new Java programmers are better dealt with on the
> *Usenet* group specifically intended for them.

That is not what you said. By implication, you are trying to create a
distinction between things that are not comparable, as though your site
needed to be distinguished from Usenet. It doesn't. Your Web site is not a
group.

> I do not quite understand where you are coming
> from Paul, did I/we get wires crossed somehow?

I have been crystal clear.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

Paul Lutus

Andrew Thompson wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:07:28 +0100, Chris Uppal wrote:
>> Paul Lutus wrote:
>>>

>> [...]
>>> The site being promoted above as a "better group" is in fact not part of
>>> Usenet at all. [...]

>> It seems to me that Paul has a good point here. If your (Andrew's) aim
>> is to direct people to comp.lang.java.help, then wouldn't a link like
>> news:comp.lang.java.help (or whatever the URL syntax is) be better ?

> Feel free to do that Chris.
>
> I, OTOH, will continue to post as I did, because I have
> already considered this matter and come up with what I
> feel is the best (all round, balanced) approach.

Fine, as long as you do not continue to mislead people as you have been
doing.

> The page lists the major Java groups and gives
> a sentence or two that provides further description
> of each. Then it links to the easiest place to
> browse/search those groups.

That is not what you said. You directed a poster to your site, using the
word "group" and suggesting that your site is a "better group" than this
one. You are beginning to show an integrity chasm.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

Andrew Thompson

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:38:53 -0700, Paul Lutus wrote:

>>> Also, it seems a better group for the moment might be..
>>> <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljh>
>>> [**the*people*ther*are*much*nicer,*trust*me..****]

> You describe it as a "group", and infer that it is a group like this one,
> but nicer. What conclusion is a newbie meant to draw?.
>
> The remedy is to describe your site as ... hmmm ... a Web site? Not a group,
> and without any inference of comparability to Usenet?

You could refer to the above as
a) A string of letters describing an URL..
b) An URL to a web-page..
c) A web-page containing information on..
d) ..A newsgroup.

So I might, in fact, have said..
"Click the string of letters below, that represent
an URL pointing to my site, where I describe a better
group.."

I won't, since that is longer, & especially given
the number of times it needs saying..

But hey,.. feel free to follow me around 'warning'
readers that it is an URL to a web-site.

--
Andrew Thompson

Paul Lutus

Andrew Thompson wrote:

>> You describe it as a "group", and infer that it is a group like this one,
>> but nicer. What conclusion is a newbie meant to draw?.
>>
>> The remedy is to describe your site as ... hmmm ... a Web site? Not a
>> group, and without any inference of comparability to Usenet?

> You could refer to the above as ...

Okay, your post clearly shows you are intent on avoiding any personal
accountability.

> I won't, since that is longer, & especially given
> the number of times it needs saying..

It certainly doesn't need saying as you have been saying it.

> But hey,.. feel free to follow me around 'warning'
> readers that it is an URL to a web-site.

And your conscience was surgically removed. Maybe used car sales is your
true calling after all.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

Andrew Thompson

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:47:18 -0700, Paul Lutus wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:

>> But hey,.. feel free to follow me around 'warning'
>> readers that it is an URL to a web-site.

> And your conscience was surgically removed. Maybe used car sales is your
> true calling after all.

For anyone that reads that comment in any future post..

"I invite you to point your mouse at (then click on)
the string of letters below which represent an URL
to the Google web-site that shows the first post to the
Usenet newsgroup comp.lang.java that led to that comment
<http://google.com/groups?th=5b25be50d1bd6126#link8>

Please feel free to read the words contained in
the abovementioned comp.lang.java thread,
and to come to your own (damn) conclusions."

--
Andrew Thompson

zoopy

On 25-8-2004 20:40, Paul Lutus wrote:

> Andrew Thompson wrote:
>

>>On 25 Aug 2004 00:14:35 -0700, dutone wrote:
>>

>>>I get the above exception ...

>>For help on those strange exceptions, see...
>><http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#exact>
>>
>>Also, it seems a better group for the moment might be..
>><http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljh>
>>[ the people ther are *much* nicer, trust me.. ]

..

> On visiting the site, one is immediately impressed by its values:

Certanly not immediately.

--
Regards,
Z.

Paul Lutus

zoopy wrote:

> On 25-8-2004 20:40, Paul Lutus wrote:
>
>> Andrew Thompson wrote:

>>>For help on those strange exceptions, see...
>>><http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#exact>
>>>
>>>Also, it seems a better group for the moment might be..
>>><http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljh>
>>>[ the people ther are *much* nicer, trust me.. ]

> .
>>
>> On visiting the site, one is immediately impressed by its values:

> Certanly not immediately.

That outcome depends on your ethical sensitivy, I guess.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com